• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Going large (ish) with a 60P

Eboeagles

I've only had nano's so far and after collecting a few I've finally had the planning permission to go larger and thanks to Andy I'm now a proud owner of a 60P + accoutrements.

Anyway I've been planning my layout for a while; basically bringing the rock together from 2 nano tanks + on the insistence of the mrs Im finally using some amazing wood I shipped from Tom a good while back.

Its not quite finished as yet as you might notice I'm currently lacking the substrate (I need to go and buy some tights so I can bulk it up before adding it). But I must admit to being pretty happy with the look as present - its pretty close to what I was aiming for.

FTS
photo_zps5299d9df.jpg

RIGHT
photocopy_zpsfb986350.jpg

LEFT
photocopy2_zpsd11b473c.jpg

I have quite a few plants from my nano's + I've bought a few on here, but looking at the scape I'm not sure where to start. I had envisaged a few small lawns of HC interspersed with tufts/bushes of Blyxa or flame moss as per one of my inspiration pics (I have bloody loads of costal pics with over hanging tree's and the like).

P1080519_zpsc36d9414.jpg

I have a lot of weeping moss for the wood and I was also originally thinking some riccia, and/or fissidens dotted around + then maybe some bushes of something like Hemianthus micranthemoides in both corners, but now I'm close to planting I'm just not sure.

In past I've tended to add far too many plant species so I'd like to keep it simple + I'd like to avoid Microsorum as for some reason the mrs just doesn't like them - even when I show her them in Amano's tanks.

I will be injecting CO2 dosing EI and should have plenty of light.

So can you let me have your thoughts advice and suggestions please?

Thanks

Phil

This looks really promising. Your inspiration pic is very nice and in the true spirit of the nature aquarium.

I think the aim here must be to have very small leaved plants to create a sense of scale. I have recently had good results growing HC directly on rocks - might look good here too. If you are thinking about a very small leaved stem for the mid or background, Micrantheum umbrosum could be a good choice. And, of course, if you want some bush like plants that are not Anubias, small Bucephalandra would look awesome in between the rocks. But so many options...looking forward to following this.

TO

Thanks guys.

HC is definitely going in and I'd like some of it to trail down the rocks like I've seen in some of Stu's tanks. I have plenty of mini pelila too, so this will go in.

I think I'll initially go for what I have which is moss, mini anubias etc.

What do you think of the main wood coming out of a bed of Blyxa? Im wondering if it will be too big?

I havent tried Bucephalandra yet so this could definitely be something for me - more food for thought thank you.

Not too much plant advice forthcoming from anyone else ;(

Despite this lack of input I'm pressing ahead and I guess I can always change plants if the aren't working, after all buying plants is half the fun!

So I've added in the substrate had a slight re-arrange and I'm now itching to plant.

photocopy_zps8ab11d94.jpg

photo_zps4c0168fd.jpg

Plants on the way:

HC (on first substrate at front on both sides)
Hemianthus micranthemoides (in each back corner)

Plants on hand and in the frame are:

Blyxa Japonica (Bamboo skewers)
Weeping moss (wood)
Anubias nana petit
Riccardia chamedryfolia
Fissidens

I also have small amounts of the following which I may try:
Eleocharis parvula
Mini java fern (about 3 or 4 plants)
Juncus Repens
Staurogyne repens
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis (I think)
Flame moss

That's it. I may just have to try and move the this thread to journals if the planting works out!

Comments and advice welcomed before I take the plunge!

Hi Tim,

Thanks. I did take out a bit on the left its a lovely piece but just felt a little crowded.

I know what your saying re centralised its been bugging me & ive tried various bits if wood to counteract this but nothing felt right + the Mrs doesn't agree & likes it as is.

I'm hoping one the plants are in it will break the wood up and help give the tank balance.

Mmmmm something for me to ponder further...

nice bit of kit youve got yourself.

60cm tanks are a great size tank, a bit larger than the nanos so some more security with 'mood' swings fluctuating shizz ect ect and also opertunity to try a few different plant species. a favourite of mine in a bigger than nano tank is allways c helferi. and dense blyxa areas.

i much prefer your 1st pic but minus the centre bit of wood.
if you choose to go with the 2nd tho which is stilll pretty nice i think....i think glosso over hc and only 1 type of moss

Great looking scape....although I too prefer the first, it has great interest and continuity with some amazing wood pieces, the left most piece is incredible, looks exactly like a knarly little tree! I really like the addition of the graded stones/gravels to the foreground.
Flame moss will work really well at mimicking some of the plant species in your inspiration shot, id use that over weeping personally. Fissidens and riccardia will be good too on the branches, you could yoghurt method them as a dsm to get a really natural look. I've never used them before for this sort of thing, and maybe it wouldn't work, but those moss balls you can buy cut into strips and placed amongst the gaps of some of the rocks could give that tight foliage look of another of the plants species in your inspiration shot.
Hc will also have a great sense of scale and the right colour contrast shown in your inspiration pic. Blyxa may look too large, but will look very nice nonetheless...if your trying to keep the scale maybe eleocharis sp. mini or the parvula you suggest maybe a better choice. Personally I'd stay away from ferns in this scape, they will throw the scale and I reckon you can have a real beauty without it. You may get away with some Anubias nana petite if used sparingly.
Looking forward to this, its a great start and if you'd like the thread moving to the journals section we can do that and you could add a new main title afterwards.....just let us know :)

Cheerio for now,
Ady.

Thanks Ady for the encouragement. Very helpful indeed.

The wood has been back in for a day or so & it's staying - The more I look at the scape and believe me I've been looking at it a lot the more I think your all right. So it's been we'll worth me posting!

More food for thought on the plants & I'm not sure I'm capable enough to try DSM but its got me thinking. I'll read through George's journal again to see if I can muster up the courage...

Please do move me over.

Thanks

Phil

Eboeagles from ASW? if yes..good to see you after a long time! :) as per what you have come up with this - looks good to me..would be keeping an eye out for this one..:)

Thanks for the interest!!

It's been planted around a month but I'm not sure about my plant choice so I'm adding some more this week rightly or wrongly - some stems at the back as it feels a little bare at present.

In theory I should let the plants grow in but its been very slow and frustrating and I'm very impatient! I had some initial melt and then a little growth - nothing amazing but it feels like its beginning to find its feet.

I have a night of fiddling planned Wednesday so I'll probably see if I'm brave enough to post some pics then.

Reactions: tim
Update time.

So this is about 6 weeks in

Initial plant list:

Blyxa Japonica
Riccardia chamedryfolia
Fissidens
Flame moss
Riccia
HC
Hemianthus micranthemoides

I've also just added in Juncus Repens and Rotala macrandra green + a couple of larger pads of riccia

Taking the lead from George's TMC signature I'm dosing TPN+ with Aqua Rebel's Special N and Micro, all 1ml every day and I must admit
everything has been going great guns apart from the stems that a looking a bit transparent and straggly. I've chopped the HM right back and Im waiting for the rotala to establish a bit fore doing this as well.

IMG_2416_zps90912db3.jpg

Comments and input welcome please

Looks good, really like the different textures of the foreground mosses and ricardia the stems should fill in the back very nicely. Still think this should be moved to journals, good start mate.

Yep you're right - I've ticked the 'select thread for moderation' - will that do it?

Looking forward to this, its a great start and if you'd like the thread moving to the journals section we can do that and you could add a new main title afterwards.....just let us know :)

Ady can you move it to the journal thread please?

Thanks

Phil

Its an UP LED from Tankscape:

UP PRO-Z 36cm 12x LED Hanging Plant Light

It was only meant as a temporary measure until I upgraded, but its doing the job fine and looks pretty unobtrusive. I'm still hoping one day to get a Elos E-Lite 3 S or 3L but they are just so expensive its hard to justify...

Very nice scape, I was also going to ask about your light lol, turns out there is a 60cm one which should fit my tank, i have no idea about led lighting and was wondering how powerful it is compared to t5 bulbs?.

I use a single 24w t5 bulb for 10 hours a day and was wondering how the 60cm with 20 LED's would compare?

Back