• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sulawesi shrimp experiences

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
Hi all,

I'm thinking of setting up a Sulawesi shrimp tank soon.

I realise they need 'weird' water conditions i.e. high pH and temp, low mineral content etc. but can anyone provide me with their experiences or point me to some appropriate links etc.

Cheers,
George

You won't regret. Perhaps the most amazing creatures in the hobby.

I have a group of C. dennerli. Warm water of course, but regular tap, here in Aarhus, DK that is 7,5 Ph and 13-14 Gh approx. The group came from a line that has been bred this way for a few generations, so well acclimatised. Species like spinata, hopefully my next project, seem more sensitive and harder to adjust to parameters too far off the original.

My tank is a biotope with simply a lot of small stones scattered over the surface (although I couldn't resist scaping them a little bit). This creates a lot of small hideaways. A small branch from the garden is there as well plus some dead leaves to create some microfauna and flora to graze on.

I have been surprised that they are not more shy. It took a month or so, but now I regularly see a good handful out and about most of the time. I tell myself it is because of the stone surface, which gives them the security to withdraw immediately when they feel like it.

Thomas

Some of my breeder friend use the Salty Shrimp Sulawesi powders to set the right parameter for their shrimps with good success. Worth a try.

Seems like Dennerlii is the easiest one. Most of the others are just too hard to keep. So i would start with them first.

Reactions: tim
Might be worth contacting the chap at Kesgrave Tropicals as he has been quite successful at keeping and breeding these.
I went and had a look at them the other day and am sorely tempted but slightly put off by the price :(

Perhaps worth mentioning that a well-cycled tank is a definite plus. My impression is that the shrimp feed more on the "mulm" that is in the tank than on the food per se. This takes a bit of time to build. I in fact feed very rarely, only once or twice every two weeks. Very fine grained flake or tabs distributed evenly over the tank.

Thomas

Thanks, Thomas. I have also heard the same from several breeders. :)

In other exciting news I have been promised some unpublished photos from Chris Lukhaup. He helped discover C. dennerli whilst on an expedition funded by Dennerle (hence the shrimp name). The photos will be of the actual habitat and will prove invaluable to use as inspiration and accurate aquascaping in terms of appropriate materials.

Thanks, Thomas. I have also heard the same from several breeders. :)

In other exciting news I have been promised some unpublished photos from Chris Lukhaup. He helped discover C. dennerli whilst on an expedition funded by Dennerle (hence the shrimp name). The photos will be of the actual habitat and will prove invaluable to use as inspiration and accurate aquascaping in terms of appropriate materials.

Hey George, please share this!!

Back