• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Blue jelly island :-) journal finished

Lovely little setup and scape, and the shrimp are adorable.

Are they as hardy as cherry shrimp? They're the same species aren't they?
Thanks George, they are selectively bred from blue Rillis from what I've read so same species as cherries, so far finding them fairly easy coping well with daily water changes and small amount of ferts,I match the new water using a tds pen. So far so good hoping for little jelly babies :lol:

Yeah heard these guys are relatively easy to keep unlike my damn crystal red, started to get a few problems with mine. I believe its due to bacterial blooms with the summer. Maybe its something you may want to look out for too.

Reactions: tim
Few I phone pics, gotta be the cutest shrimp I've owened so far :)
8858316571_0ebdbdc7a2.jpg

8858312473_f57491f7b6.jpg

Red head
8858307217_f8eebfb2f2.jpg

View when I grab my first coffee in the morning
8858928102_c93ae3b98b.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

These guys are still doing well, bit of a snail explosion though, picking them out by hand daily maybe came in on the rotala I added. Any tips on ways to remove some without using chemicals would be appreciated. I know generally over feeding is the reason, these guys only fed nettle/spinach once a week, I keep catappa leaf in the tank and that's it. Entered this into iaplc for a laugh more than anything as nanos don't fare well but my 90cm is pants at the moment.

Tim I had the same problem last year in my excel tank. Unfortunately the only way i know is by manually removing them one at a time. The problem is there's always a peak & trough sort of population pattern with them. I think you've got to keep at it everyday.

Really nice scape, you must have to be quite delicate with your maintenance given how small the tank is.
Hi sanj, thanks maintenance can be a little fiddly, I use airline to carry out a daily 1 ltr water change and a selection of artists brushes to clean glass hardscape etc. filter clean and 50% water change every couple of weeks to remove more detritus.

Tim I had the same problem last year in my excel tank. Unfortunately the only way i know is by manually removing them one at a time. The problem is there's always a peak & trough sort of population pattern with them. I think you've got to keep at it everyday.

Thanks for the tip Faizal, have been removing the little buggers every morning, by evening glass is covered again so it's twice daily removal at the moment, may try a bottle trap with a little food in a test tube see if I can catch a few more. I knew those test kits would come in handy for something :lol:

Yeah Tim,...those little buggers are a real pain. I remember removing loads of them one evening only to see more of them the next morning. Hang in there buddy. It took me & my kids a month just to bring their numbers down. Eventually we only saw those tranparent tiny ones that just look like a spec on the glass.

Almost perfect setup, beautiful scape and I really like the acylic pipes i'm knicking that one! ;)

Problem Snails!! Obviously no loach solution with your jellies, how about some assasin snails?
When Ive used them they mainly killed the smaller ones
which left me to remove larger ones still took a bit of time
but I put all the larger trumpet snails in a small breeder tank with a fish block soon filled it and sold em on ebay!
Take that pesky snails!!!

Almost perfect setup, beautiful scape and I really like the acylic pipes i'm knicking that one! ;)

Problem Snails!! Obviously no loach solution with your jellies, how about some assasin snails?
When Ive used them they mainly killed the smaller ones
which left me to remove larger ones still took a bit of time
but I put all the larger trumpet snails in a small breeder tank with a fish block soon filled it and sold em on ebay!
Take that pesky snails!!!
Hi defektor feel free to nick the pipe idea I did from dafil's journal :), maybe an idea to raise and sell the snails in a separate tank, think ill give the assassins a miss I've read they will eat shrimplet's. glad you like the scape.

Had a little change of planting today out with the hc and in with some utricularia I picked up from lfs this morning added a little more sand to help keep it rooted not sure how it'll do without carbon addition but will carry on with daily water changes and we'll see :)
9044256788_e12236f637.jpg

Getting on top of the snail situation pulling out plenty daily tried a test tube with some lettuce in it but all that was in it in the morning was a shrimp :lol:
Rotala isn't doing so well so looking for a replacement may try some micranthemum umbrosum from my big tank.
If the utricularia looks ok in a couple of months will enter this in aga comp.

real beauty! well jel!
Keep up the good work and show those shelled critters whose boss! ;)

Update time, lost two of these little guys over the last week probably bacterial or just due to the rise in temps over the last week or so, have had the same occurrence keeping neocardinias in this tank and other small tanks over the last two years which I put down to liquid carbon or co2, as I'm not adding either I was probably way off the mark, bit of reading and ill be investing in some mosura bt-9.
Utricularia seems to be coping without additional carbon 10 days in no melt
9118602277_d8ff425e35.jpg

Not sure if it will fare well long term, on the couple of occasions I've tried it before its melted and not recovered after a few days in the tank. Little males have been zipping round the tank tonight and a couple of visible moults from the females so fingers crossed breeding behaviour.
As always cheers for looking :)

Well this one is going ok ug seems to be putting down some good roots
9248325255_64ed96fd30.jpg

Diatoms have made a bit of a comeback and some stubborn bba on some hardscape maybe due to increased natural light or increased evaporation due to the high temps of late, covered the side of the tank which receives the sunlight with black card see if it makes a difference.
Good news berried shrimp spotted today :)
9251089898_332deb5bb0.jpg

And a fts to finish
9251115648_d04399d78a.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Back