• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What plants

Frederick

Hi all.... I previosly posted this in the plants section but did not receive many replies so I will try the general forum ,....my tank is a small one ... lighting by 2+ PL11 lamps, the tank is a Aquastart 500 roughly 65 ltrs. Internal filter Aquaone 102F (roughly 450 ltrs/hr). 50% tap water and 50% rain water. EI fertaliser. Lights on for 7/8 hrs per day. So far I have had no luck with plants... slow/no growth but plenty of hair algie.. I have now removed the plants and I would like to start again so my question is what plants do the forum recommend and how many. Help will be very much appreciated..........Frederick​

Are you adding any CO2? Adding nutrients and with fair lighting without CO2 is always going to lead to algae.

If not adding CO2, you can either add CO2 in the form of pressurised or liquid, or you can reduce nutrients and lighting to make it low tech.

The algae is not because of the plants, its generally because of too much light, try using one of the lights or get some floating plants to cut down on the light.
Are you injecting CO2 (or dosing liquid carbon ) ?
You may need another small filter or power head for a bit extra circulation but it's not really needed unless densely planted.
Hygrophilas are your friend, especially when starting a new tank but ultimately plant choice depends on whatever you prefer. I would plant densely from the start, and do plenty of water changes, 50% twice a week during start up. Stick with EI and you won't see nutrient deficiencies.
It may be worth while seeing if someone on the forum can sell you some easy plants cheaply, and then you can slowly phase out the ones you don't like for types you prefer. I like Hygrophilas as they are easy, H. polysperma, H. corymbosa and H. difformis are all easy to grow without CO2 and are fast growing, you could fill the tank with some various stems easily for £15.
Keep on top of maintenance (Filter cleaning and water changes are essential), use fast growing stems initially, don't go over the top on lighting (less is more), use sufficient flow and dose EI and you will not go wrong with 90% of the plants we keep.

Hi all..... many many thanks.. so nice not to be ignored. I do not use CO2 as the tank seems so small to justify it the kits are so expensive but I do use "Easy Carbon"... is that enough ?
Take care all.... Frederick
ps I have some plants coming from Green Machine and will keep you posted.

The easy carbon is enough providing that you have little enough light to balance out the lower co2 concentrations of liquid compared to gas. The appearance of algae suggests that there is too much light for the amount of co2, so I would recommend trying to cut down the lighting in duration and intensity. Lighting intensity can be reduced by removing a bulb or fitting if you have a couple of light units over the tank, or by adding floating plants which will also help out-compete the algae for nutrients.

Back