• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Opinions needed urgently

Nat N

Hi all,
There will be a whole bunch of questions – sorry... I tried to find answers/information but for some reason I could not find anything satisfactory.
Here goes. I am thinking about tidying up my equipment and slightly upgrading. I was thinking about buying Fluval 406 – never used Fluvals before (most of my filters are Eheims of various specs). So, first of all – can anybody tell be the definite dimensions of Fluval 406 (e.g. width/depth/height)? Fluval does not seem to have this information and the shops do not allow to open sealed packages to measure... I am not sure it will fit into the cabinet...
Another thing – Hydor external heaters. I am currently using one (and am very pleased with it). My current one is at the outflow so the water flow direction goes up from the filter (obviously! :) ) but I am thinking about putting it on inflow pipe so it will be “upside down”. I saw somewhere that some people do it this way. It may be a silly question but I want to be sure – is upside down position O.K. for the heater?
There is a Fluval 406 being sold now with a relatively good price so I need to make up my mind before it is gone. So, any opinions would be great and appreciated.
Thanks in advance.:)

You shouldn't really do anything to restrict inlet flow as you run the risk of cavitation in the filter.

The general consensus on here is for JBL and Eheim filters usually - what price have you seen the Fluval for?

It is for £100 which is a very good price and I know the general consensus here on the forum but Fluvals otherwise have a great reputation (I am going to replace those ugly pipes, though). I remember there was an article in PFK not long ago where one of their guys actually rated Fluval filtration as “I would buy anything Fluval” in comparison to “I would buy almost anything from Eheim” and I agree with that (have my own experience)...

Right, I have been reading on the other forums and blogs and have had it confirmed that the Hydor heater on the intake pipe is absolutely fine - many people did this. However, the dimensions are still something which I would like to know. I got some info here and there but they do not match... Anyway, I have answered one of my own questions at least....

I would not buy Fluval, except for a FX5 for around £100 if I was desperate.
I would buy Eheim, however only used ones as they are too costly new.
I would pay more than JBL actually charge for their filter, as they are incredible.

I have been interested in JBL, actually, and I am tired of Eheims: I have too many and the quality is actually dropping (and the prices are not). Are JBL's quiet? And what about spares? They are not as easily found as Fluval or Eheim ones?

JBL's are the quietest filter I have ever used. Never had a need for spares, but impellers etc are easy to source online. I don't think any of the sponsors on here stock them, but Charterhouse Aquatics and Zooplus do.

theres better filters out there for the money, eheim, jbl and aqua one are all better filters imo.
the older 405 was a much better filter than the newer 406. and the primer pump and quick taps feels like there going to snap off every time you use them and their hard to get all the air out too but are much better when you fit non fluval hoses

It's a pressure effect that causes bubbles to form, and can occur as a result of poor inlet flow (but there are many more causes, it's a really complicated effect). In short, whenever you regulate a pump, you should always regulate the output, not the input, to avoid things like backpressure etc, which aren't good for the health of the pump or the silence of its operation.

It's a pressure effect that causes bubbles to form, and can occur as a result of poor inlet flow (but there are many more causes, it's a really complicated effect). In short, whenever you regulate a pump, you should always regulate the output, not the input, to avoid things like backpressure etc, which aren't good for the health of the pump or the silence of its operation.

Ooooo I am wondering whether you have just id'd the issues I have been having with my aps filter. I have shrimp so have a filter sock (small gauge nylon netting) over the filter inlet and the filter floods with air after a few days. I have tried everything....

A simpler thing to check is if any of the filter seals are faulty. If you're getting a large airlock, then a bad seal is more likely than cavitation. More than that, I can't say I'm afraid, I don't know enough about fluid dynamics!!

/Sorry OP, gone a bit offtopic I realise.

Hi Nat N, i'm running a 406 with the hydor 300w ext heater, I have no issues with the 406 but no experience of the other brands suggested. If I get the chance I will measure the unit for you, it's pretty much the same size as the box it comes in and the dimesnions on amazon are 19.3 x 36.8 x 45.2 cm. I think the hydor is better placed on the outflow as the inflow has all the fish/plant waste going through which may dirty the workings of the hydor. Another forum member has his hydor upside down and hasn't had any problems, his is on the outflow though. One issue I have is the hose kinking due to the extra bends I needed to fit everything in the cupboard, if you can hang the hydor behind the tank this shouldn't be a problem for you.

If I was going to change my set-up I would use a filter that has input and output connections at the base of the filter rather than the top as this would reduce the number of bends in the hose needed to fit everything in the cupboard.

Hi all,
Thanks to everybody for the thoughts/recommendations. I am glad there are some other opinions than the consensus on the forum: to be honest, I was nearly worried as this consensus reminds me of a very stale "I have not read this book but I know it is no good" - if you know what I mean. I am glad somebody stood by Fluvals (thanks IanD). What I really wanted was a range of opinions from people using different makes of filters, really... Anyway, what I gathered from here is a good help and a food for thought. I have not bought that Fluval as I now want to think a bit more and read around a bit more - as it is an upgrading of an existing set up I do have time.

Eheims are just like German cars, overpriced but not actually any better or well built than anything else! They built up their reputation of being precision engineers and reliable products during the 70s and 80s but nowadays it's just all mass produced rubbish. But the trouble is people are still under the impression that German is best but these people are completely misguided!

Back