• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fitted an inline diffuser tonight

durtydurty

Fitted a 17mm inline diffuser and my new super duper big gas bottle and everything seems hunky dory but was thinking when it comes time to clean the diffuser I will have to take the filter tubing apart and leave my filter off.

Does anywhere sell connectors for filter tubing that can bridge the gap cut in the pipes whilst said diffuser is cleaned?

Or can i wrap the diffuser in black plastic thus cutting out light hoping it wont need cleaning as much or at all?

I cover mine with rags or swaths of bin liners and it has helped extend the interval between cleanings, but yes you will need to take it apart during water change time and soak in bleach. I don't know of any quick disconnect adapters that can be installed.

Cheers,

I'd fit a couple of double taps either side of it if you want to remove it quickly. Then you can stop the flow, uncouple the taps and remove it without draining the pipes. Not that most attractive solution if your diffuser is on show though.

Ed Seeley said:
I'd fit a couple of double taps either side of it if you want to remove it quickly. Then you can stop the flow, uncouple the taps and remove it without draining the pipes. Not that most attractive solution if your diffuser is on show though.

This is what I was thinking too. Eheim double taps would be expensive unless you can source second hand ones. Not sure what else you could use...

SteveUK said:
Ed Seeley said:

This is what I was thinking too. Eheim double taps would be expensive unless you can source second hand ones. Not sure what else you could use...

I bought Fluval ones at first for my old filter to save money and to be honest switched them for Ehiem ones after a few months! They're expensive for a reason! ;)

aaronnorth said:
how much are they? i have an ehiem with them but just icase i decide to switch later on...
Depends on the diameter of the tubbing, they range from aournd a tenner for 9mm to around fifty for 25mm!

LondonDragon said:
aaronnorth said:
how much are they? i have an ehiem with them but just icase i decide to switch later on...
Depends on the diameter of the tubbing, they range from aournd a tenner for 9mm to around fifty for 25mm!

:wideyed:

£10 i could probobaly live with :lol:

I've been using aquatics online for years James and never had any problems with them at all, so calling them a bunch of idiots is a bit strong really.

You could go really flash, and actually fit a bypass. 2 Y splitters, 4 sets of taps and a short length of filter tubing, just close the taps on the diffuser and open the ones on the short length of tubing when it comes to cleaning time and you won't even need to turn your filter off.

Ade

Wolfenrook said:
I've been using aquatics online for years James and never had any problems with them at all, so calling them a bunch of idiots is a bit strong really.

You could go really flash, and actually fit a bypass. 2 Y splitters, 4 sets of taps and a short length of filter tubing, just close the taps on the diffuser and open the ones on the short length of tubing when it comes to cleaning time and you won't even need to turn your filter off.

Ade
They are neighbours of mine, and yes they are idiots. I've known them for nearly 20 years.

JAmesM said:
They are neighbours of mine, and yes they are idiots. I've known them for nearly 20 years.

Is that professionally or just because they play loud music at night and won't cut their leylandii? Use them for most of my stuff at the moment as they seem to have good prices.

Professionally.

If you're happy to buy from a place covered in cat and rat faeces, run by owners who turn up in pyjamas, carry on :) Just don't ask for a refund or you might get threatened.

So I assume that most of their sales are online :) . Well you're certainly correct that when you buy online you have no idea of the sort of place you're getting it from. So far stuff I've ordered has been mechanical and service has been good but may tend away from stuff that may be affected by such a "special" environment.

this may be a stupid question, but why can't a single tap above and below the reactor be used?

Spider Pig said:
So I assume that most of their sales are online :) . Well you're certainly correct that when you buy online you have no idea of the sort of place you're getting it from. So far stuff I've ordered has been mechanical and service has been good but may tend away from stuff that may be affected by such a "special" environment.
Yup, its basically only online. They will sell over the counter, but usually don't like visitors. Years ago they had what could have been a nice shop, but it was a disgrace. Fish were a mess, live foods crawling out of boxes, rabbits stuffed in sweat boxes, etc.

Their prices are good on some items (probably because they pay remploy workers minimum wage), so if you have to use them, then do so. Just hope nothing goes wrong.

johnny70 said:
this may be a stupid question, but why can't a single tap above and below the reactor be used?
Most likely cause you will get the contents of the reactor on the floor??

Back