• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Red Ramshorn Snails

dean

Does anyone have problems with these munching plants?
Had a 19ltr coming on nicely loads of RR snails which I didn't mind as there are only a small group of wild endlers in there so a good clean up crew.
I went away for a week and left instructions to only feed every other day very lightly.
Got back my most treasured plants were just stalks
Checked everything
Co2 working correctly :)
Ferts added daily :)
Food done as requested :)

The only explanation is the RR snails ate them due to lack of food :(
Gone
Blyxa jap 12 good plants
Staurogyne repens 20 plants
pogostemon helferi 10 plants

If they run out of food, then yes, they'll go after plants. Typically though they're only algae feeders. I tried RR a while ago but really didn't like them as they bred too fast, and you then end up with a tank full - unsightly and also a risk to plants!

Never had a problem with ramshorns eating my plants but I have known my wild endlers to have the odd nibble.
I put nettle leaves in for my shrimp and the shrimp don't get a look in,the endlers hog the lot :D

:eek::eek::eek:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

I know Alastair,my fault for having a huge ramshorn takeover in my tank a few months back.
Someone suggested I get a couple of assassins and I thought they would eat the fish food once they had done their job but they seem not to go for it :(

I've got a tank full of cherry shrimp, they overbred to mass amounts. I've had problems with the lights on this tank since I bought it last year September. The manufacturer had to replace the lights 3 times so far , issue with the design they said. My plants had to spend some time without much light because the light unit would just switch off itself whenever it liked so the plants suffered quite often when I wasn't around. Each time the plants would kind of start wither away and the red cherry shrimp would fast strip those down to a mesh looking stalk. They ate entire hydrophila plants and these are big!!! But they weren't healthy anymore although not dead, yellow or melting yet. And I've seen them doing it with my own eyes, takes them no longer than a day. I've got so many shrimp that a big piece of cucumber looks like a square strawberry and disappears in no longer than a day too. So if "non-plant eating" red cherry shrimp can do that, I see why can't snails do it too providing something wasn't right with the plants.

So if you ask me, I think something went wrong with your plants and if it wasn't for the snails to eat them down, your other inhabitans may have suffered from plant meltdown and ammonia.

I presume that if you've got an overpopulation of ramshorns, they can do it fast. Another issue is probably that you overfed previously for them to multiply to these numbers. I've had ramshorns for several months now in one tank and they haven't touched a plant, but then again I can't even see where the ramshorn snails are either. But I've had an overpopulation of pond snails in a planted fry tank and they never touched the plants despite that the tank looked black with them.

Back