• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

18W Light for Arc35 Tank

John S

I'm looking for a light for an Arc 35L tank. I've looked at the Ellipse lights but read reviews that they give a very dim light.

Has anybody got any first hand experience of these or can anybody suggest an alternative?

Depends on your budget and how much light you want.

Personally I'd be looking at the TMC tiles for that sort of tank, or do what I'm doing elsewhere and steal troi's idea of an LED floodlight.

You could always double up on the arc pods if you wanted to boost the light levels otherwise, but you're probably into TMC tile price territory already if you do that.

I have looked at the TMC ones Rob but I'd be looking at second hand as new is a bit out of my price range.

Yes I've seen Tims floodlight. I've being trying to think of a way to mount it as I don't want it suspended from the ceiling. If I can suss that I might give it a go.

Has anybody used an ellipse?

They're not that expensive for the mini 400's, you can pick them up new for less than £60, I'm planning on using one on my next upgrade.

Otherwise, for wall attaching, I had considered a small shelf as the option, which happens to also provide a convenient shelf.

Sadly though, no I've not run an eclipse light.

I run an Arcadia Ellipse 18w plant pro on a 28lt tank and I find it plenty bright enough for me but I don't know what sort of plants you want to grow :)
I don't have any plants that are particularly demanding as it is a sort of jungly biotope for my Dario dario but the plants I have in there grow well with liquid carbon and ferts.

Thanks Pep and Miranda. I'm injecting CO2 and using EI ferts on this. I'm looking for something that allows me to be flexible. I know that the CO2 and flow etc needs to be right but want something that will give me decent PAR at the substrate.

Thats exactly the same as my setup :D I used a Stanley blade to take the silver trim off the top front. After carefully scraping off the silicone it was fixed on with, it looks ten times better.

Thats exactly the same as my setup :D I used a Stanley blade to take the silver trim off the top front. After carefully scraping off the silicone it was fixed on with, it looks ten times better.

Up until now I've been using the condensation lid but now that's off I might well do the same. Thanks for the tip. :)

Back