• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

hydor koralia pumps

Andy Dunning

Hi any idea wheres best to place my two 1600 pumps I have a fluvel roma 240 tank with 305 filter. Cheers Andy. P.s only going for low tech mid and background plants.

Hi,

If you are going low tech (low light, no CO2, no liquid carbon and minimal ferts), flow isn't as important as it is for high tech aquariums. So I'm not sure that you need one let alone 2 Koralias.

With 3200 litres per hour that's well over 10 times the volume of the aquarium. We use the 10x rule for filters knowing that in real life, a filter circulates about half of their stated flow rate. However, flow pumps don't have such restrictions caused by the hoses and filter media.

To advise you more, people also need to know if you have a spraybar or not and where the filter outlet and intake are in the aquarium.

Cheers,

P

Hi think I used the wrong fraze in saying low tech. What I meant was low maintenance and low lighting plants. I will be add pressurised c02 with super atomiser which creates a mist of c02 and dosing with ferts daily aqua nuarish+ & aqua c02. So need to get ferts in and around plants thats why I need to no wheres best to put pumps. I will not have carpeting plants. My filter is fluval 305 what came with tank and the inlet & outlet come out of bottom of tank in back righthand corner. Cheers Andy.

OK, the thing to make sure of is not to have the pumps and filter outlet fighting against each other. Try and get a circular flow.
If you look in the tutorials section there's a good diagram about flow in the article about setting up a higher tech aquarium.

I wouldn't say I'm an expert but 2 1600 lph pumps seems like a lot to me...

P

Back