• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can't Aquascape, Won't Aquascape

John S

Like many I made every mistake under the sun when it came to plants. I got my tanks for fish and ignorantly thought that plants took care of themselves until, after getting fed up with replacing them every two months. I came across this site several years back. It then became apparent I’d bought equipment that was going to make my life difficult.

So two Aqua One tanks later out went the trickle filters and in came canister filters, pressurised Co2 and EI. I’ve tried to make the best of the tanks I have. They aren’t in the same league as some of the stuff that goes up here. It still amazes me that some people can turn any water tight 5 pieces of glass into something stunning.

Anyway here is where we are:
Aqua Mode 600:
DSC_6204_zpsfbf3dfcb.jpg

Aqua One AR850, the plants at the front are struggling. Despite running an Eheim 2078 on this I struggle to get the Co2 to the substrate. Thats why it has the speedfit spray bar - still optimising.

DSC_6174_zps38e8af6d.jpg

The bogwood on the left is going and some taller plants going in. All advice welcome.
Thanks to all those who post advice and journals.

looking good mate. i'm a bit like that atm i'm ready to give up

Hi Dave,
I think you underestimate yourself, both of those tanks look stunning!
Cheerio,
Ady

looking good mate. i'm a bit like that atm i'm ready to give up

Don't give up mate. You get great advice from this forum and others and that helps you keep going. If I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have got those tanks. They both function differently, the semi circular one has better plant health with CO2 on the filter inlet,, the bigger AR850 looks healthier with Co2 on the outlet. Once I can regularly grow plants successfully then I might start scaping, until then I take inspiration from those who can. :thumbup:

Hi Dave,
I think you underestimate yourself, both of those tanks look stunning!
Cheerio,
Ady

Thanks Ady, I really appreciate that as I've always admired your set ups. The one thing we do have in common is struggling to go grow staurogyne repens:lol: It grows well in the smaller tank I have but really struggles in the bigger one. I'm sure it's a Co2/ flow issue for me.

Thanks Ady, I really appreciate that as I've always admired your set ups......
I'm sure it's a Co2/ flow issue for me.
Thanks very much, staurogyne doesn't grow for me for personal reasons....I've given it much co2 and much flow, it just doesn't like me! Lol
I also think your title is inappropriate, you already have aquascaped :) the little tank in particular is very well thought out and executed.
Cheerio to the stauro!
Ady

In theory I always thought the smaller one would be more difficult because of the shape and the limited planting space. I think the Ar850 will look better once the bogwood on the left goes and I get some height in there.

Just a few more details on the tanks:

Aquamode - inert substrate with root tabs, 22w PL lighting 6 hours per day, Eheim 2324 thermo filter.

AR850 - had ecocomplete when set up but this looked awfull after a couple of years (loss of colour etc) so it's now capped withh inert black gravel, root tabs, Eheim 2078 and 6 hours lighting (70w T8) per day.

I've just got mine looking almost as good as those and i am well chuffed with myself! They look great wish I had half your talent!

Back