• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CRs and water temps?

Iain Sutherland

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Hey folks, while we are having this lovely weather it obviously has an effect on our tank temperatures. Not so much of a problem in most instances, simply adding some additional surface movement and more co2 sees the scaped tank ok but what of our shrimp tanks..??

My Taiwan bee tank has hit 25c today, I don't want to manage it via frozen water bottles as my thinking is the fluctuations will be more damaging than just letting them be.

So how warm can caridina species go before they start to be detrimentally effected??

Thanks

Ditto !! I've just brought a small fan from Argos , and have it pointed at my Taiwan bee tank 24/7 and also doing refrigerated ro water top ups every afternoon and still the tank is at 25 degrees !!

Our tank is at about 29 in the day at the moment and drops to 26 at night. I've opened the lids now and raised the small filter to disturb the surface more..:) only rhili and cherries but still concearned.

u2erehy9.jpg

Mine is the same, just red and orange sakuras. So took off the spray bar, and pointed the outlet at the surface to create alot of movement.

I have also lost a couple of cherries from the heat :( My tank is sitting at 28C / 29C atm where the thermostat on heater is usually set at 22C / 23C. Running with hood open to let out the heat of the lights and fan to keep the temperature down.

The only thing i can think off doing thatll work best is to add cold water in, not too much as itll change too much. I have no room for a fan so im stuck at adding cold water, seems to be working, granted my wayer hasnt come below 29c but i think it would be higher if i didnt.
Its a nightmare to get round really, but just think they have to deal with fluctuations in temp in the real world so they should be able to cope with it. Surface movement, your fan and cold water should work!

Cheers

Darren

Tank now hovering at 27 degrees ,and lost two Taiwan bees overnight !
I give up !!

Gutting. I think even with a fan if the room temp is hot anyway its not going to cool the tank down as its blowing hot air through

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Honestly I've done every thing I could think of , fitted a desk top fan pointing at the water surface with a Pyrex jug full of ice cubes underneath the fan hoping it would pull up the cold air!
I've got a large fan pointing at the tank and topping up with cold RO water ,I'm scared to leave the house , when you've got a £1000 of shrimps that cold pop here clogs any minute ! :(

Tank now hovering at 27 degrees ,and lost two Taiwan bees overnight !
I give up !!
Sorry to hear that. I've been thinking of all sorts even getting a cheap fridge boring a hole through each side and fitting our filter inside it for a few weeks. Or a cool box or gorrilla bucket full of ice and water and sitting the external in it. Would the cold kill the bacteria.?:(

I've had the same idea mate got an old quinness fridge and thought about drilling some holes in that to house the filter. The cold probably wouldn't do the bacteria much good though I would of thought.

Back