• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

plant substrate that dose not need caping

Thanks, How dose the cat litter work? Do you have to add fertilisers?

Cat litter has a high CEC (Cation Exchange Capacity) and will hold onto nutrients which will benefit the roots as it will slowly release it for the plants. The cat litter itself does not contain any nutrients so you will likely have to dose the tank or pre-soak it with liquid fertilisers or even place some root tabs under it. I use it in my 30L tank with peat moss underneath and osmocote.

As mentioned, I use the Tesco low dust cat litter and you really have to rinse well as it is perfumed. It took me a long time to wash and its the only negative I can think of. If you don't mind washing it then its perfect for you. Alternatively you can use moler clay which is the same thing but not scented.

Michael.

so is moler clay cat litter?

thanks for all the help

Moler clay is the main part of cat litter, it's the physical grains that you see. Cat litter usually has various additives and perfumes in it too, so you can't use any old cat litter (the Tesco one that Michael mentioned doesn't have additives in it).

If you want it in bulk, you can buy sacks of it from bonsai suppliers (I've got two huge sacks in the corner of the dining room, more than I'll ever need!).

Reactions: tim
Back