• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Frustration

Yeah i just sent them an e-mail explainng that i wan't happy....

"I have to say that I am a little annoyed about all of this.

I have paid £150 for a LED lighting unit that has a dimmable function, with the sole purpose of not using it at 100% and because of this I have to put up with a high pitched noise. For me to get rid of the noise I have to pay to ship the unit to you, even though I near enough drive past you door on the way to my office. My warranty could be effected even though the work is carried out by the manufacturer’s engineers at the manufacture’s own site. I will also not have it running for potentially over a week. All for what could be deemed (and is by a number of people on a number of fishkeeping forums) as a design flaw.

I am now considering my options with this light and will probably look to return it unless TMC can help out a little. The fact that you are offering the service indicates to me that you have recognised this as being a problem."

The really annoying thing about it all is that i drive past where they want me to post it to on my way to my office most days, but they are insisting that i have to post it to them!!!!:mad:

The light unit is advertised as dimmable. You can't use the dimmable option because of the noise, therefore you can't use it as per the advertised specifications and as far as you are concerned, that means the unit is faulty. It's none of your concern whether it's a design fault or not and their offer is totally ridiculous because they are going to remove something you paid for in order to make the light unit work as per specifications, but they are going to take away the warranty because of that.
That's like ordering a black baloon but they send you a white one instead. And when you complain, they offer you to paint it black for you, but make you liable if the balloon birsts while or after doing so.

Well after a moan i have good news!!!

They are going to replace the component with another component that "overcomes" the issue and this will also keep the guarentee. I will be able to drop it into them on Monday morning for their engineer to work on. they did say the serial number of my unit will change as this tells them what components are used. So good news!!

I spoke to a guy called Gyles Westcott who was very helpful. I will keep you updated but this has re-installed my faith in them as a company. When i see Gyles on Monday i will ask him if this is something that they have changed in all future released units or if this is something done on request.

+1 glad it looks like you will receive a reasonable result.

I will be interested to know if the new component will be standard going forward, like it should be.

+1 glad it looks like you will receive a reasonable result.

I will be interested to know if the new component will be standard going forward, like it should be.
I will ask because to me i think it is a deal breaker for some if not most customers. Put it like this no-one would accept it if it was a new TV!!

So i changed the lighting intensity, from 100% at six hours to 50% at six hours. Is this still too much for too long??

Right i have my light back...i got it back on tuesday but been too busy to update this journal.

It is now completley quiet!!! Gyles at TMC also put the new lense on it which improves the spread and focus of the light and i have to say it does seem to make a difference.

Gyles also mentioned that shortly after my one was made the components were changes so the newer ones shouldn't make the noise. However i imagine it will be luck of the draw when you order.

I also appear to have managed to get the flow improved around the tank to the areas that were showing a CO2 difficiency as my drop checkers are now green. I played with making my own acrylic spraybars and using glass lily pipes but i got the best results from using an outlet that came with my JBL filter. I'll post a picture up later!

Back