• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filters - What is actually correct?

Im going to try the stock spraybar at first then ill get myself a fluval spraybar kit and use that on the back of the tank if needed.

Just my pennies worth. My understanding of the 10x turnover guide. Is that this is on fact circulation within the tank, rather than throughput of filters.
This comes from marine tanks, where 20 -30 turnover rates are common. This is for water movement rather than filtration.
After setting up your apprpriate external filter. You can add an internal pump/ wave maker, such as a tunze nano stream, vortech or similar.
Regards

Reactions: tim
Yes, one can use powerheads too but the point is not just water movement and amount flow, but the flow pattern itself in a planted tank so as long as that's covered, it don't matter. External filters just provide a few more benefits like filtration capacity and extra volume, and to me it's easier setting up the flow with them so they all work to compliment each other, rather than crossing their flow patterns.

Played with the JBL last night and must say... its a NICE piece of equipment. Doesnt feel as solid as the eheims but really really well thought out and comes with ALL the media etc etc. Think Ill be using the Eheim for the low energy planted tank along with a small powerhead under the spraybar if I need more movement.

Not thinking about anything else right now and will make a new post once the tank is ready to be started :)

You can buy solid acrylic rod to fit the internal diameter of the spray bar and cut a piece to bung the end ( easier to clean this way) or heat and pinch the end with pliers to seal.

spotted this on their website after i had posted, definately the cleanest way to 'bung' it. pinching wouldn't look anywhere near as good IMHO. thanks for the reply, been weighing up doing my own for a couple of days now.

Back