• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

bulking substrate

soton_dave

Im in the process of planning a conversion from marine to planted.the area I've got to play with is 48"x30" id love to be able to go straight in with ada but because of the area i have to cover i think its gonna cost a fortune i want a mound or two in the scape so could i bulk under them with acadam and cover with a gravel tidy then cap with ada or is this asking for problems?

If i was to use acadam capped with ada would it be worth soaking the acadam in ferts before using?

Cheers Dave

I couldn't find particularly cheap akadama anywhere. It was £16 for a bag with delivery. I was much more impressed with the cheap Tescos cat litter so that might be another option. £3.16 for 10l.

That's exactly what I used , cheap tesco kitty litter capped it with Ada soil , my tank is 1mx30cm , used 1 bag of each .
I did and I would recommend you to cover the kitty litter with a fine mesh else you run the risk of it making its way to the top over time I used this stuff
q9xwdSr.jpg

Hope this helps cheers

Yep. That's the one. I meant £3.19, not £3.16. Needs a bit of rinsing though.

I found it rinses ALOT quicker if done in small amounts at a time :)
Hope this helps
Cheers

Just a thought. If this is going to be used just to bulk out and would be capped by something else, would it need rinsing at all?

thanks for the replies :D

looks like i'll be using cat litter in tights topped off with ada,what sort of depth capping should i be aiming for?

cheers dave

Back