• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Deleted thread

have same issue with aquanano 40. haven't yet been able to come up with a solution. next step / plan / idea was to superglue fine stainless steel mesh to the inside of the filter grills only concern would be cleaning it. I have tried fine filter floss, finer ppi sponge pushed up against the inlets but nothing has resolved.....

One of two ways:
1. Remove filter box completely and cover the vents with stockings and re-attach the filter box with some silicone
2. Cover top grill with stocking (it will go all around, believe me) and then cut course spong into 5mm x 5mm ish strips and insert into each hole with a toothpick.
NB: remember to add some sponge with a hole cut for the nozzle around the flow nozzle!

I did number 2 before swapping the whole system over for an external. It does reduce flow quite a bit so you might want to upgrade the impeller if your going to be doing this.

Deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
Deleted

If your serious about keeping/breeding shrimps, a air operated sponge, the more the better is perfect, Shrimplets are safe. And the perfect surface to graze on.
Or a external with either a pre filter, or small mesh sponge, net/bag over the intake.

I have a Eheim 2224 over my 55 ltr, with the eheim pre filter.
Just returned from 2weeks holiday to find at least 50 baby crs, and some are every so small.

On my other 32 ltr a Eheim hang on Liberty, but with a large fine sponge on the intake.
Presently counted 40 crs shrimplets , now about 4 weeks old.

Originally i used a internal, but never managed to seal it.

Deleted

Red Cherry Shrimp (Sakura / Fire Red) work perfectly well in London water, needs a mature tank if you dont want to lose shrimp.

Sorry but I never understood why people would want to keep an external and the stock Juwel internal. Personal preference I suppose, but it does free up a LOT of space and there is no real benefit.

Deleted

I can't really think of a way to do it that won't interfere with the flow other than what's been mentioned.
I just wondered, is it a problem if they do get in the filter?
I have an external filter and tried covering the intake with mesh but it kept blocking with bits of plant so I gave up.
Every time I clean the filter out there's about 20 or so shrimp in there living quite happily so I don't worry about them anymore :)

Deleted

have same issue with aquanano 40. haven't yet been able to come up with a solution. next step / plan / idea was to superglue fine stainless steel mesh to the inside of the filter grills only concern would be cleaning it. I have tried fine filter floss, finer ppi sponge pushed up against the inlets but nothing has resolved.....
I like this idea but bolt through existing slots with small stainless bolts instead of gluing. Local rc model shop should stock small ss bolts. Cut a cheap/old seive up for mesh

Deleted

Deleted

Deleted

Whatever you use just make sure it's fine enough. I made a small screen of tulle netting for my Aquanano 40 that clearly wasn't fine enough. On Friday I found over 50 baby shrimps living in the holes in the sponge. It took over an hour to carefully separating them from the mulm I had washed out of it.

Deleted

Back