• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My acrylic tube bending solution

Trust my computer to go down just after i posted!! had to re-install.
I was trying to bend 16mm pipe (2mm wall thickness) purchased from the ebay seller linked in the article.
Think it's called clear plasticsupplies.
I used a hot air gun as used for paint stripping held in a vice as i ran the tube over it but i must be cack handed as the outside of the bend keeps splitting.
That guy doing it with glass tube makes it look so simple!!
Thanks for the replies guys. I've not given up yet.more practice needed.

Maybe the tube isn't hot all the way through? Not sure if it would help or not but maybe you could get it close to temp by placing it in boiling water first then continue with the heat gun. BW is 100C and I think the tube will bend easily at 130-140C.

Having watched the links people put up theres one guy doing Acrylic but very slowly and carefully!
i think i probably got my tube to hot and soft when bending.thought i was being careful but maybe not.
Those links are well worth watching

dont mean to sound a dummy on this matter but i have
looked high and low for acrylic pipe as i was hoping to make
my own in let and out let lilly pipe style i live in the north east
and ebay is not an option for me so the best thing is somewhere
i can pick it up from

Hoping for a bit of help. I'm trying to bend some tube (16/20), and I'm using a spring and heat gun, but I keep getting "wrinkles" on the inner curve of the bend. What's the cause of this? Cheers!

Not from the spring, it's the actual acrylic. I'll try heating for a bit longer and trying again, cheers.

I'm probably going to do at least 2 of my tanks, so it'll work out cheaper in the long run. There's no denying that my first couple of metres aren't likely to yield anything useful though!

Reactions: tim
Not from the spring, it's the actual acrylic. I'll try heating for a bit longer and trying again, cheers.

I'm probably going to do at least 2 of my tanks, so it'll work out cheaper in the long run. There's no denying that my first couple of metres aren't likely to yield anything useful though!

did you manage to sort them out to your satisfaction?

Back