• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Would you expect more growth in 7 weeks...

terry82517

Hi all, so it's about 7 weeks into my dry start with HC and hair grass in amazonia, 2x39w t5s 12hrs aday, 22'c ish, misting most days with cling film on top
1st iwagumi attempt.... | UK Aquatic Plant Society

Basically everything isn't growing as fast as I've read on others people's journals, would you expect more growth in 7 weeks? Any advice? Cheers
just planted
ytu4yvyh.jpg

Week 7
asapyqyg.jpg

tank looks good terry, I felt exactly the same when I done dry start mine seems to take ages and some people grow within 3 weeks, not sure why some grow a lot faster than others but there is quite a lot of growth there looking good , there is a lot of light there so thought maybe a bit faster growth but maybe someone else can give u some pointers, is there a gap in the cling film or opening it daily to allow fresh co2 to get into aquarium ?

Dean

Hi Deano, yep open it up a couple of times a day and leave a small gap! It's a shame as lots of people reports the can literally see growth day by day, I can't even see growth week by week!!!

Hi Terry,
I think with this method what happens is initially the plant puts down root development, then concentrates on plant mass above substrate afterwards, so what you may find is now that there is noticeable healthy growth, it will infect speed up dramatically. I would just be happy that it is going well in regards to plant health, the root stock is the important bit!
I'm only speculating, but maybe a contributory factor in the speed of growth is the type of plant purchased in the first place. 1-2grow are rammed full of nutrients from the gel so may have to put less energy into sourcing food initially. Other pots may be effected by how long they were in holding tanks etc before supplied to you. Emersed plants too come full of nutrients ready to go, but if they were held for a period in an un-dosed tank for example, those nutrients would be utilised so they take a slight hit initially until they get root stock into your nutrient rich soil?
Looks to be a nice layout with well positioned plants and substrate gradients. Stick with it, I'm sure it will pay off :)
Cheerio,
Ady.

Best growth come with high humidity & bright light.
I grow mine outside this time of year but I seal the top & don't spray.
For inside.. my best results have always used a heat mat under the tank to keep the humidity high, you should have condensation on the glass most of the time.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies, the plants have really long, strong roots and have done since about week 3! The tank is always steamed up, but do open it Agee times Aday to let air in as had a little problem wilth mold! Maybe il jst keep it sealed from now on!

Slower growth means healthier plants :)
I think it looks really good and like said above its all healthly and with patience comes rewards :)
I've read online about how other projects have taken 2-3 months or even more to really start to grow , I think your making good progress
Cheers

Still no 'creeping' growth on HC , and browning is getting slowly worse! Anyone experienced this in there DSM's or any suggestions on why its browning? Cheers
zuvuzamy.jpg

e6ege7e9.jpg

Hi terry the only thing i can think of that has'nt been said is nutrient burn but you dont hear about it often. That water has been in there quite some time now. You could try flooding tank and drain it back down to substrate to remove any execess nutrients.
I would say flood it but I think you'll get algae on the browning bits of hc.
Hope you get on top of this and can start to enjoy your hard work

Hey bc, yea it really does look like a burn, flooding and draining is a good idea I think il give that ago this week along with snipping off as much brown as pos, could take some time!!! That way if I see browning returning a can snip it again and cut my losses and flood properly, I've got a feeling that it might even grow faster flooded as it can't grow any slower!!!! It's all really rooted well.

If you flood it properly give it plenty of co2. I put some of my propagator hc (which is looking a bit yellow and tatty now) in my mates high tech and it started pearling in less than a hour.
It will be worth watching sams journal to see if he starts having a similar problem. If changing water help with your problem, it might be worth doing a regular wc to prevent it happening

Yea been reading plenty of posts on HC and from what I gather key is tons of co2 and doesn't really care about much light. Been keeping a eye on sam's and yours, both seem to be growing at least 5 times faster than mine! So strange but something must be causing to slow growth, I've left it and left it, hoping for it to speed up but have to try something different or change something now.

Ye its time to do something. Like you say, its got to be something. Yours and sams tank are identical apart from lights. Mine and dans has 2xt5 and a ji3 substrate capped with stratum(nutrient free cap)so you cant compare to that really.
Is the yellowing the same all around the tank or worse on the higher/lower ground?

Mine started to yellow like that when I decided not to mist every day but now I'm misting twice a day -no yellowing ...

I also have a tiny vent in the top , this is all I can think of that is different other then lighting , you have a lot more light then what I have so maybe the burn is coming from this which needs a slight mist daily , I'm not saying it is but we can't rule anything out.
Cheers

You are probably rite Sam, I have been only been misting every few days, il start misting everyday after the prune and 'mini flood'.
Every dry start is different I think, some don't need to mist, some every day. Some need small vent, some have cover completely cover ect. Just have to find what is rite for me.
Thank you for the ideas guys, helping no end :)

Yea like you say it's all different ,
I got 3 pots of hc growing on my porch window cill , covered with cling film , no vent , totally sealed for 2weeks with no misting and all 3 pots are half covered !
Never in direct sunlight though .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

where did everyone get there plants from, would be good to do a comparison on them.

Back