• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Wild type scalare angels

I was thinking of maybe getting four as I have some angels already. My tank is also 18" tall which should be fine unless they are truly massive fish. What angels are at the wembley store? Are they altums, scalare?

Dan Crawford said:
Hi guys, as some of you know i'm good friends with Jeremy Gay and he was doing a visit to a angel breeder with over 300 species/varieties so i promptly told him to grab me something wildish. Well he never had any wilds as such but some lovely spotted silver angels so the nice chap (John) is sending me some on Monday. I'll be sure to show you all the quality and maybe you could approach him with your wishes, he sounds really helpful.

Hi Dan,

Let us know how they turn out! I'm intrigued to know what they look like. Where abouts is this guy?

Thanks

They look just like this but the faint bar between the dark bars aren't really showing as much. Think they would once relaxed in good water though.
They seem to be doing well, healthy and no ammonia burns.

jay said:
They look just like this but the faint bar between the dark bars aren't really showing as much. Think they would once relaxed in good water though.
They seem to be doing well, healthy and no ammonia burns.

Wow that is impressive! If I have time I will try and make my way there. Are they for sale or in a display tank?

Yeah they're up for sale, around £25 I think.
Really are nice, some have a really prominent hump between the 'beak' of the mouth and bottom of the caudal fin.
Seem to be doing well in with the discus.

The bump in the nose is shown by a number of wild angel forms. The only ones that never seem to show it are P.dumerelli/leopoldii and domestic hybrid angels. My wild 'Peruvian Altums' (P.scalare) have a similar bump.

I believe one of the main distinctions of true altums is a very high height to length ratio, much longer fins and browner rather than darker bars (though I'm sure I remember reading that some other forms of other or undescribed species have browner bars too).

Whatever they are wild angels are the best and I really want to try and get mine breeding this year, just need to free up some tank space!

Thanks Ed that's really helpful info there. Do you have any pics of your angels to post up by any chance?? I've ordered some Peruvian Altums so it would be nice to have something to compare them to when I go to buy them to make sure it is what I am tols it is!

Cheers

Mine are at school I'm afraid so it'll be a couple of weeks before I'm back there! Will take some pictures then. They look like the photo EO1 on the Finarama link, except the angle between snout and body isn't as severe.

Wild scalares @ Wildwoods. Had some that had silver bars instead of black!!
Peeked around their quarantine room and saw a tank full of smaller wilds. Looked like Altums though.

Thanks for that Jay, any idea how much they were and what size?

Bodies were about 2.5-3" round. 6-7" from top of dorsal to bottom of anal fin. Definitely Peru. Around £25 each. The smaller ones in quarantine were only a touch bigger than the ones at Aquatic Design Centre. But fuller looking. Still they were Peru scalares.
Always see them looking stockier than young altums.

Back