• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
quick question when you put hose into tank to carry out water change does the cold water from hose not make the water temp drop dramatically ? I use barrel with warm water just curious for when I eventually need to do this
Hi Dean, wrote this earlier ;)
I have been doing every other day 50% water changes, but am now trying every day 25-30% as an experiment. Im using water direct from the hose for ease and dechlorinating in tank during refilling. The water is obviously unheated and the temperature was dropping to below 20 celcius after a water change from around 26 celcius (which it is sitting at due to the warm weather were experiencing ) Im doing 25-30% water changes now to try and reduce the temperature swing for the introduction of livestock.....last nights water change was a more reasonable drop to 23 celcius from 26 which should be manageable. When i plug the heater in this will help reduce any difference quickly.
Im considering a large 120l water barrel and pond pump to pre warm water to room temperature for large water changes and pump into the tank. Only issue is the size, it would look a little unsightly sitting in the house (even just for 1 day a week) and dont want to pump all the way from the garage. I may just continue little but often water changes with the hosepipe :)

I'm just putting this out there but could it be down to the lovely weather of late forcing us all to have windows open and letting in a lot of outside pollutants?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
possibly, but the film i have on the nano has been there throughout winter too.

Not been on here for a while but the tanks looking stunning Ady. Really like it mate. Looking forward to seeing the maidenhair settle in

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
still havnt sited the maidenhair, i think ill just use a small portion of it :)
Not yet mate, we've just moved house and i'm now a dad :dummy: so as you could imagine I've not had the time as yet. I managed to get 5mins to look on UKAPS a couple of days ago and I could feel the Aquarium bug itching away at me again. There's so many fantastic tanks on here and your one is a knock out. Mrs is trying to convince me we no longer need an Aquarium :banghead: We'll see :mad:
CONGRATULATIONS mate :thumbup:
You need to try and convince the Mrs that you still do need the tank ;).....its relaxing, which youll need with a baby :p

Cheerio

Well it's not all bad news, my wife and I have agreed to have one of the aquariums as we both agreed it would be great for our little boy, unfortunately it's not the 350litre Rio, however I still have a trigon 190 with 2 external filters and a Arcadia OT2 4 x 24w luminare :) The trigon has some benefits such as not having to spend so much money on it to get it looking great, Also the water changes are so much more manageable. I'm really looking forward to it now :happy:

Take care :thumbup:

Ady, regarding filling from hose, could you not just stick the hose attachmemt on the tap then run both hot and cold through into a jug until youve got the temp similar to the tank then just attach the hose quickly whilst the taps running and voila.... thats what I did. Saves buying a whopping barrel

Ady, regarding filling from hose, could you not just stick the hose attachmemt on the tap then run both hot and cold through into a jug until youve got the temp similar to the tank then just attach the hose quickly whilst the taps running and voila.... thats what I did. Saves buying a whopping barrel

I did that before and found it to be a pain tbh. Getting the temp right was tricky from the taps to tank and faffing on getting the hose out and attached, drained and put away was tedious. The hosepipe is simple, on a reel and right outside next to the tank. If I could set my hot water temp on the boiler low enough it would be worth it but it but it won't set to the right temp (water temp won't go low enough) so it's a case of turning hot and cold taps to get the temp right and making small adjustments. Due to the shape of the taps I can't run them, get the right temp then attach the hose, I need to attach the hose first then run and adjust.
It's a personal thing too, I just don't like having water running and having to go out the room to a tap to turn on/off make adjustments. Its blown off the tap a couple of times making a mess. The hosepipe has all the right pressure fittings and I use an attachment which allows me to have the tap on, but the water off until I choose.
A tap right next to the tank would be ideal, or a hot cold mixer outside :)

Well it's not all bad news, my wife and I have agreed to have one of the aquariums as we both agreed it would be great for our little boy, unfortunately it's not the 350litre Rio, however I still have a trigon 190 with 2 external filters and a Arcadia OT2 4 x 24w luminare :) The trigon has some benefits such as not having to spend so much money on it to get it looking great, Also the water changes are so much more manageable. I'm really looking forward to it now :happy:

Take care :thumbup:
Ahh, compromise!
I'm sure your boy will love it, mine are like me and are always having a peek :)

dazyvu9e.jpg

Cheerio,
Ady
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hey mate.

Tank is looking fantastic.

Another note, I am loving the aponogeton and it is flowering lovely at the moment just a shame its in a hooded tank :(

e2a7u9uj.jpg

That's yesterday and

ha2u4ygu.jpg

Cheers again dude

Hey mate. Tank is looking fantastic. Another note, I am loving the aponogeton and it is flowering lovely at the moment just a shame its in a hooded tank
Cheers mate :thumbup:
Pleased the aponogeton is continuing to flower on. I was cutting off 15cm flowers regularly as some made it through gaps in the cover glass but others would just squeeze themselves under :D
Cheerio,
Ady.

Yes it looks great Ady and I like the last photo, I'm sure they are both debating which of there toys will fit at the bottom nicely though! ;)

Lol, i didnt leave the dinosaurs in long enough for them to see.....otherwise it would have been acceptable for anything to be thrown in! :eek:

Bought 10 Black Phantom Tetras a couple of horned nerite snails and some 'blue' amano shrimp at the weekend....blue due to the dyed blue gravel p@h had in the tank with them :banghead: I never noticed until i got them home in the white bucket, hopefully it will work its way from them, although i dont see a great deal of them anyway :watching: Will order some more from FWS soon.
Going to add 10 red phantom tetras to accompany the black phantoms which seem to habit the lower regions, 8-10 marginatus pencilfish to sneak in and out of the plants around the mid/upper areas, and 8 locally bred corydorus duplicareus. Will get some ottos and perhaps a crossechelius siamensis to help as part of the cuc. Also considering a shoal of penguin tetras which school really well for the upper layers.
I have on order some black acrylic to manufacture a light shade so the halide doesnt blind the family, and a 10mm thick clear acrylic sheet to make a cover for the tank....if i need it.
Things are going ok, but again not blisteringly filling in. Ive had a touch of melt on the riccardia here and there, but some is doing really well. Things seem to be settling in now i have everything on timers and the weather has cooled down so there is a consistent temperature of 23 celcius, only deviating upwards of about 1 celcius during the day. Water changing 30% every other day with unaltered tap water (occasionally every 3rd day :oops: ) which is currently keeping TDS sub 200 and conductivity sub 400. The filamentous algae hasnt worsened, and ive started to trim some of the larger bolbitis leaves as there is lots of new growth starting. The photoperiod is still at 6 hours including a half hour period of just the led's each side of the 5hr flourescent period. Next week im going to try and increase this slowly and adjust c02 accordingly. Ferts are 50ml ei macro (mon, wed, fri), and 25ml ei trace (tue, thurs, sat)...day of rest Sunday :)
Cheerio,
Ady.

Edit: oh and I'm going to invest in some seachem 'safe' water conditioner so that I can use purigen again. The water is still being stained a slightly yellow colour which isnt being removed with carbon. I don't like the discolouration with the bright sand, it needs to be crystal clear :)

Hi Ady,

how are you ? I came back from holidays on monday, the tank was ok the only thing is that on the first week the timer was stuck on lights on for 7 days, so I had a diatoms outbreak. but a friend passes and change the timer. Now it's ok I have done a good scrub and cleaning.

I don't have access to Purigen here, but I have been usin the very fine moss of eheim and it's working very very well. Water is very clear. the only down side is cleaning, you have to clean it every week.

hope this can help
regards

Hi Ady,

how are you ? I came back from holidays on monday, the tank was ok the only thing is that on the first week the timer was stuck on lights on for 7 days, so I had a diatoms outbreak. but a friend passes and change the timer. Now it's ok I have done a good scrub and cleaning.

I don't have access to Purigen here, but I have been usin the very fine moss of eheim and it's working very very well. Water is very clear. the only down side is cleaning, you have to clean it every week.

hope this can help
regards
Hi Zanguli, Im good thanks.
Good job your friend corrected the timers :)
Yeah that is the problem with fine floss, clogs easily, don't think it will remove tannins though, but will certainly remove very small particles.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Hi,
quick video at 3 weeks, best viewed at 720p :)

Hopefully get some more fish this weekend.
Cheerio,
Ady

Nice little video Ady, it's looking great and I like the fish choice.... Are you cleaning the rocks on your maintenance or just letting them do there thing?

Nice little video Ady, it's looking great and I like the fish choice.... Are you cleaning the rocks on your maintenance or just letting them do there thing?
Hi Gary, just got some more fish in today, corys and pencilfish. I'm not doing any rock cleaning, currently there is no sign of algae on the rocks.....I'm hoping that moss will cover them soon enough :)
looking awesome mate really nice..
Thanks Aron.
Looks good in the vid mate, could've used more light.

Beautiful island though. Bet you're well chuffed with how it's going. :thumbup:
Yeah, I need to get a decent background sorted which would help too. I removed the one I had which sat flush to the rear pane, but I prefer to see through the tank to a background, it adds extra depth. White will probably be best so need a big piece of card or something.
Quite pleased with how its going, but I failed to really utilise the co2 when there was no fauna in the tank!
Very nice. I like the tank dimensions, having only had 30cm high tanks for 3.5 years now I'm feeling the urge for something a bit taller.
We're never happy ;) ideally I'd like this to be only 45 high, a bit more panoramic :) works quite well with the island though.
Cheerio,

New fish:

Corydoras Duplicareus, not a great photo:

cp81.jpg

and some of the marginatus pencil fish, the second photo shows better the mini pelia (centre) and fissidens (lower right) growing well in the upper regions of the tank. The hydrocotle tripartita is also growing which is a first for me and the java moss is doing well:

jo5v.jpg

qwqk.jpg

Cheerio,
Ady.

Well make sure you keep an eye in the hydrocotle els its going to be everywhere! I left it unchecked in my nano and all of a sudden I had it strangling and tangling all my stems

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Back