• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 usage issue

kellyboy47

Hi,

I have a 54litre tank and started injecting CO2 with a reusable 500g JBL cylinder on the 29th June using 1-2 bubbles per second. I have just returned from a weeks holiday and the cylinder is now empty. Before I left the cylinder pressure was 50 bar and it is now zero. The regulator is a JBL with twin dials and was working fine. I took it to my LFS who said it should have lasted much longer on this size of tank and suggested that the valve might be faulty which I assume he meant on the cylinder.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated

Also how long should a ceramic glass diffuser last for as mine has brown algae like deposits on it

Twin dials doesn't mean twin regulator. Chances are your bottle was running low and then (maybe) dumped the last bit into the tank. This can happen with single stage regulators, that is why people buy dual stage regulators to prevent this from happening. When i ran a 500g JBL Canister at 3 bubbles per second, it lasted about a month.

Dont machine mart welding co2 disposable fit these regs i think they do a 600g for less than £15
CO2 Gas Cylinder (600g)

- Machine Mart

Jbl co2 kits are a rip off

I did precisely that, and it worked very well. The regulator is very basic, and needs adapting for a push-fit connection, but serves it's purpose. For a 54L tank, I'd just buy a second hand regulator and a fire extinguisher, it'd soon pay for itself.

To clean my glass diffuser i soak it overnight (or 12 hours) in a mix of approx. 1 part "thin bleach" to 10 part water. To wash it i use a 10ml syringe with air line and squirt clean warm to hot water through it leaving no trace of the chemical behind. Make sure you do this quite a few times and all should be ok.

Back