• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Are you entering the IAPLC 2013?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So I saw the no1# tank on the Viet boards, there is not a single plant or fish view able in the picture. International Aquatic plant layout contest?

At a portuguese forum i saw this picture has being the hardscape of the winner:

525123_349275498505542_97253223_n.jpg

If true there is not much space for plants, but no plant or fish viewable on the final picture? :cool:

Some of the rankings do confuse me, but I always enjoy this contest.

I like having a goal - a deadline and endgame.

Many of my aquascapes are published in magazines, even books, but there is something that I find especially exciting about contests.

It's probably just my competitive streak. And when I don't get the result I wish for, it keeps me motivated to do better next time.

Tom - do you have a link to the Vietnamese site with the winner, please?

Cheers,
George

At a portuguese forum i saw this picture has being the hardscape of the winner:

525123_349275498505542_97253223_n.jpg

If true there is not much space for plants, but no plant or fish viewable on the final picture? :cool:
That is a very nice hard scape and is that a smidgen of moss just in the front left foreground very impressive rock work ;)

Many of my aquascapes are published in magazines, even books, but there is something that I find especially exciting about contests.

It's probably just my competitive streak. And when I don't get the result I wish for, it keeps me motivated to do better next time.

George, your will to compete with the normal people ("us") is what makes you bigger then many other aquascapes :clap:
Saying this, i'm not taking any credit for the wonderfull scapes you created all these years, like the one you entered this year.

Reading those line makes us believe that one day we can reach the Top 100. Hopefully with plants and fish :D

I see the point that people are making about the lack of plants and fish in the presumed winner, but in a way I found it refreshing to see the judges pushing some boundaries in this way. In any case was glad to not see another "Welcome to Pandora" scape on top. I know the P in the IAPLC, but personally I would find it interesting to broaden the category some to open up for new creativity.

Thomas

So I saw the no1# tank on the Viet boards, there is not a single plant or fish view able in the picture. International Aquatic plant layout contest?

I am almost 100% sure you only seen the hardscape of the tank. If i am wrong i owe you a beer Tom :)
Seriously do not think these tanks were public anytime before. Not even on their local boards. These guys keep protect their ideas, work to make a larger impact.

This is almost unbelivable. I saw lots of pictures from the first 100 that aren't better then most that made planes after 1000. Well... Keep trying... or not

There are weak ones for my teste too, but i also have to add that many photos on the net is not final one or not the contest shot. Or just in a super crappy resolution which not tell the truth.
Sure there are ones probably which is strange, but once we will see the final shots i am sure the overall look will be very different.

Now my problem is that since they changed the game this year again, we will not see these photos only in the contest book and the top 27 will be public.
The rest? Since we will not have a gallery probably, we lost something good from the last year contest to enjoy these tanks in their final moment.

I am hoping at least at the award ceremony they will show us somehow on the web the top 100.

Some of the rankings do confuse me, but I always enjoy this contest. I like having a goal - a deadline and endgame. Many of my aquascapes are published in magazines, even books, but there is something that I find especially exciting about contests. It's probably just my competitive streak. And when I don't get the result I wish for, it keeps me motivated to do better next time.

I am with you George! :)

I am almost 100% sure you only seen the hardscape of the tank. If i am wrong i owe you a beer Tom :)
Seriously do not think these tanks were public anytime before. Not even on their local boards. These guys keep protect their ideas, work to make a larger impact.
Agreed, lets just wait and see. It may not even the tank that he submitted. It may just a rumor going around on the net but I can say that the picture was just a hardscape and very good one. There are many possibilities with it.

There are weak ones for my teste too, but i also have to add that many photos on the net is not final one or not the contest shot. Or just in a super crappy resolution which not tell the truth.
Sure there are ones probably which is strange, but once we will see the final shots i am sure the overall look will be very different.
I do agree those in rank 100-130 might be better than those in top 70-100 but 1000 better than 100 no way :p

I am hoping at least at the award ceremony they will show us somehow on the web the top 100.
Yes, if I remember correctly from previous party, the top 100 will be display.

That's the nature of artistic style contests. Panel of judges decided based on their own taste and preferences. Like Iron Chef :D Still, trying to get into the top 100 is an ambition for me. Does anyone have a link to all the potential winning scapes?

Okay, they did a blackout on the image and the other top winners.
Some others mentioned this, he had some other designs with the same group of rocks, he did spend a lot of time and it is evident with the various arrangements here did. But...........even those, there's not much plant examples, some moss(yawn) wedged into cracks.
Such additions of plants are gratuitous. But......til we see the final...............hard to say.

Yes, they blacked out the photo, but why even show that?
No beer required:p
I do not drink alcohol anyway, so drink mine:)
ADA makes them submit to this, but the blackout of the image is something new.
Better to just make them wait.

Otherwise folks see it and go" WTH?" Like me.

Since we will not have a gallery probably, we lost something good from the last year contest to enjoy these tanks in their final moment.

Agreed, it's ADA's contest, not a public contest etc.

Oh, I've been bowing to those guys for ages already.

In all seriousness it's great to see the standard of UK aquascaping improving and indeed reflected by great results like these. :)

True, better than the USA. 20th is the highest and it was George from AFA, next would be way back a few years ago to #105 for the USA.

You have to be very good with rock work to place high and you also need a larger tank, 120 cm or 180 cm tank.
Suiseki might be a good idea to focus on strongly to help learn the skill set for this competition if you want to place highly.

Yes, they blacked out the photo, but why even show that?

It's a silly rule that you can't show your beauty if you're with the best ones on the contest.
Some may built their tanks for 5-8 months for the contest. Send it at the end of may. Now it is the end of august and they still can't show it. It's hard to resist :)

So the blacked out rockwork is to show something but not the final one. I fully understand he is proud of his placement and wants to share some bit til it will be public for all.

Back