• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to dim this LED driver

Palm Tree

Hi all,
I am looking for a way to dim this LED driver, I think its PWM that I would need but I am not sure which one to choose.This would be used to power 10x3w LEDs on a PCB. The specs are as follows:
Ideal for 6~12pcs 3 watt high power leds.
Input Voltage:
AC 80V~140V/AC 180V~240V (will send based on buyer's shipping address)
Output Voltage: DC 18V~42V
Output Current: 650mA
RF: 0.94
TC: 65 Deg C
TA: -50- 65 Deg C (MAX)
Waterproof Rating: IP67
Size: 138mmx44mmx26mm

Function: Open circuit, Short circuit and Over loading, Dimmer

Any help would be appreciated.

See my thread below for a solution, I used a DC motor PWM speed controller.
Re the above, I can not see how a 650mA driver can power 12x3w. How many LEDs are you trying to drive?

650mA would still be very bright if the they are top end CREE LED's such as the recent XM-L2. You can drive them, theoretically, up to 3A though that would need liquid nitrogen to cool I expect!

*edit* I just checked the XM-L2 data sheet and they chuck out around 400 lumen each at 1000mA. 300 Lumen at 700mA.

*edit2* these drivers are variable voltage (within spec'd range), constant current.

See my thread below for a solution, I used a DC motor PWM speed controller.
Re the above, I can not see how a 650mA driver can power 12x3w. How many LEDs are you trying to drive?
10x3w leds, i know it works on 100% as I have tried it and its very bright but the dimming is the problem.

Ok, I was wrong as I now remember it is 12x3w LED's. They are 3.3v each so 3.3vx12= 39.6v. The driver is constant current (650mA+-5%) 25-42v DC. At 100% brightness they should draw roughly 25.35w.
@Ichthyologist I have tried the dimmer you sent me but it only flashes and stays on, even if I only press the dimming setting. It also was very warm after 5 seconds, which I think may be because its rated 12v.
I have found this- 9V-60V 20A DC Pulse Width Motor Speed Control PWM Controller Dimmer with Switch | eBay
Its a 9-60v 20A 600w max PWM dimmer, my question is would this be overkill or would it work fine?

Back