• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Are you entering the IAPLC 2013?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So you give(unless you are a top winner) your hard work and intellectual property to ADA to help them promote and build their business eh?

You guys okay with that and how they operate there?

AGA, all the club contest etc do not play this game.

I understand protecting one's intellectual property, but it's these poor hobbyists who work their butts off.

I do not know, I think hobbyists, not corporate ownership should always have a higher priority. I just have never gotten that vibe from ADA or Amano for that matter.
He shows up to events and gives a talk, brings a pallet or two of ADA products or picture books of his photography that has little to do with aquariums(100$ a pop, he'll even sign them if you buy one, fancy that). Been there, seen it.
Then sticks the clubs with the bills. But he draws a lot of people to the meetings. Hardly the guy donating his time for free to the clubs.
Policing the web is lame. Milking the hobbyists? Also, not cool.

Yea, I still like the event and neat stuff, but it's what the hobbyists, not so much ADA, produces. The event did not use to be this way.

WOW.. that is pretty hard.. :(

They are tanks from TBAC, a competition arranged by ADA Thailand (Apr 2013).
ADA Japan allowed these tanks to enter IAPLC 2013 and they had specifically
inform a magazine that they couldn't print the pictures before the IAPLC 2013 event
without permission. But it seems the magazine didn't take the warning seriously.
You can think they act too hard but this case is a little more complicated than just
publishing the pics on the web.

I understand protecting one's intellectual property, but it's these poor hobbyists who work their butts off.

We have this saying in BG.
It is not crazy the one that eats the cabbage, but the one that gives it free.

The pictures are actually not ADA property. Not by means of any law concerning copy right.

484335_349274085172350_1804102595_n.jpg

This is reported as being #1 this year..

I like the rock work.. but it is very hard for someone that has competed with plants and fish and trying to get that right, to loose to just rocks..:)

The final pictures of the disqualified tanks have been publicly viewed since Apr 2013 here.
And there is no problem about that.
http://www.ada-tbac.com/tanklist.php

I'm trying to understand the reason they (ADA) did that. It seems they think
that magazine used the pictures to draw in advertising or something, even though
they (ADA Japan) had contacted ADA Thailand to inform them (the mag) specifically
not to do that.

On the other hand, you can, of course, think that posting images onto facebook
can generate income from ad as well. Well, up to you.

So you give(unless you are a top winner) your hard work and intellectual property to ADA to help them promote and build their business eh?

You're giving out the right of that specific photo. Nothing else. You have other one where fish is in another form? Or created in a different stage of it's lifecycle. You can do anything with that ..... unless you're with the best ones where not just that specific image is protected, but they would like to keep protect the unique appearance for the party.

I really do not know why it is a problem?
Once you enter to the contest you accept the rules. It is not AGA. But the financial budget is also different here. I like both contest for different reason.
If you publish the photo before the event they can disqualify you. It is ok too. They are not using this step too much.

The magazine published these shots? Yeah they made a huge mistake to these participants which would not be a problem since we all know about their ranking and for us they still are the 27th etc whatever. But a problem for the best ones as they probably will not get the contest trophy for them i guess this is what worth the most. Getting the plate, handshake with best of the scene and with Amano, nice moments at the award ceremony. It's a lifetime memory for someone who take contest seriously.

IAPLC contest is a big investment every year. We can shoot ADA all the time, but frankly who else put that much money to a game for us? There are much larger players on the market and they did not invest a single cent for the hobby.
I do not think they ask big things if you're in the top 100. But you always have your choice to not enter and do whatever you wants with your scape and photo.

I would think the same if i would not be in the ADA family before i get shoot for that :)

The final pictures of the disqualified tanks have been publicly viewed since Apr 2013 here.
http://www.ada-tbac.com/tanklist.php

I'm trying to understand the reason they (ADA) did that. It seems they think
that magazine used the pictures to draw in advertising or something, even though
they (ADA Japan) had contacted ADA Thailand to inform them (the mag) specifically
not to do that.

On the other hand, you can, of course, think that posting images onto facebook
can generate income from ad as well. Well, up to you.

Its only about the print appearance. Never seen that someone would be disqualified for forum, FB posts.

If it goes printed, magazine makes good money because of the hype and buzz.

You're giving out the right of that specific photo.
Since ADA is not using signed agreements or release forms like AGA then by all means they do not have copy right to anything.
In all honesty. If any magazine have obtained any picture some how and printed it out why ADA does not sue the magazine, but disqualify contestants instead?
It is exsactly because they can not do jack to that magazine, because they have nothing legal to open a court case about.
So the contestants are getting the disgrase and the business keeps going on.
VERY NICE CONTEST INDEED.

Since ADA is not using signed agreements or release forms like AGA then by all means they do not have copy right to anything.

Its a common practice in the states, but i rarely seen elsewhere when i worked in the creative agency world.

It is a gentleman agreement between IAPLC and the contester. Noone will go to the court with this. Still rules are rules.
Personally i would act much harder on other stuff like photoshop things etc. Publicity is always good no matter how this happens.
But negative campaign also good for marketing :) just a pr article and everyone talks about it for a week at least.

Still rules are rules.

Everybody knows the rules.. so they should have stuck to it.. simple as that..

Had my works been on top 300, I would have waited till release them.. simple as that. Top 100? No way I would even post it on facebook or forums.. top 30? Man, not even I would look at it..:)

Everybody knows the rules.. so they should have stuck to it.. simple as that..

Had my works been on top 300, I would have waited till release them.. simple as that. Top 100? No way I would even post it on facebook or forums.. top 30? Man, not even I would look at it..:)
It is a common ego problem. Folks too much in a hurry to measure their noodles, get famous, rip glory.
I still don't get why some local Taiwan magazine would matter so much for ADA business? People in other countries have not even heard about that magazine and the entire world is watching Facebook. If I see everything on Facebook I will have zero interest in the NA party. All the mistery veil will be gone for me.

Its a common practice in the states, but i rarely seen elsewhere when i worked in the creative agency world.

It is a gentleman agreement between IAPLC and the contester. Noone will go to the court with this. Still rules are rules.
Personally i would act much harder on other stuff like photoshop things etc. Publicity is always good no matter how this happens.
But negative campaign also good for marketing :) just a pr article and everyone talks about it for a week at least.

Well the gentlemen from Japan have kicked in the as 5 contestants and exactly for what?
I had some second thoughts about my choise not to enter conests anymore. If my last scape got ready in time I would have very likely submitted it to IAPLC despite all.
This wichhunt have pulled me even further away from all this.
When things like this happen it makes the hobby sad and snobby.
I would certainly not submit to an Iron stick when my work is donated for free.

Back