• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

deep tank ideas

Sye Davies

hi all,

i currently have a 72 x 30(h) x 24 inch marine fish only tank with sump.

running my own business and energy costs and time restrictions mean the tank is not what it should be and i am thinking of a planted set up.

i am struggling for inspiration...........

i am thinking of a dutch style.

the cabinet is over 3ft high with the whole set up being over 6ft high......reaching to the bottom requires tools so i think carpeting plants are a no no really.

anyhoo i waffle. :lol:

if someone could provide me links to deeper tanks i would be very very grateful...........inspiration is required :D

Hello Sye and welcome

Marine is definately less forgiving! We've got both and it does take a lot more maintenance. I've never had a tank that big so haven't got much advice, but it might be worth having a read of Jayne's threads including this one... viewtopic.php?t=1590 and posting in the wanted/for sale/swap section for spares and for plants that have outgrown other peoples tanks!

Looking forward to the pics

hi nicky,

i have my own aquatic shop so getting hold of plants is no problem. i will read through that thread......thanks :D

its like a painter having a blank canvas and not a scooby what to paint lol :lol:

Welcome to UKAPS, Sye! Nice to see you here.

If low-maintenance is what you're after then I'd personally avoid Dutch style as these consist of almost all stem plants that require regular pruning.

Consider lots of slower growing non-stems such as crypts, swords and plants that attach to decor i.e. Anubias, ferns and mosses. All these are fine without CO2 injection and are tolerant of lower light, that may be handy due to your tank depth. Water changes can be minimal if you're keeping down nutrient and lighting levels too, further minimising maintenance.

All the best with whatever you decide. The AGA Showcase X-Large sections may provide some aquascaping inspirations.

Cheers.

Like George said lots of stems may not be the best idea if maintenance is a problem! I've got 5 Crinum calamistratum in my tanks and their leaves would make a great no maintenance background plant. Some large Echinodorus cordifolius would look great too in a 30" deep tank. If you had some wood work covered in Anubias, moss and Java Fern in the mid-ground along with crypts or swords and then a sand foreground, or maybe Hairgrass as a foreground. Or smaller wood/rocks with Anubias nana 'Petite'.

hi george,

we have met before at hayling island (i am a former JBL rep) nice to talk to you again.

i am not afraid of doing work on the tank.......................long handled scissor type things are availible and although a bit more clumsy than a nice pair of curved scissors i think they will do the job ok.

cutting stem plants would not be an issue...............mowing a lawn with snorkel on would be :lol:

co2 can be employed although gassing off may be a concern ;)

i did consider crypt, anubias and the like but i am wondering if something a little more adventerous could be done without going swimming twice a week.

Hi Sye, and welcome to the forum.

So how many gallons/litres does she hold then?

I run an Aquamass in-line CO2 reactor on my 160G which is fed by an eheim pro 3e, and a tunze powerhead, so CO2 distribution seems pretty good allround.

And tut tut, we don't cut stems now, they can release ammonia, and algae likes ammonia, or so i'm told. ;)

TDI-line said:
And tut tut, we don't cut stems now, they can release ammonia, and algae likes ammonia, or so i'm told. ;)

how do you create the bush effect otherwise? amano does it all the time.

i cut my stems and they look fab at the minute. :D

TDI-line said:

200 gallons

after sleeping on it i think i will go for the fern and crypt low maintanance stylee with a shoal of 5 or 6 17cm discus.

i will of course post pics when i start :D

JAmesM said:
TDI-line said:
What do we do with them then? :lol:

We need a WTF smilie :D

Me bad. :lol: :lol:

But too keep stems nice and long for a deep tank, you have to pull them out, cut to desired length, cutting off the roots, then re-plant. Thats why i only have 4 stems in my tank. :rolleyes: But if you want the bushy effect, then hack away. :D

Sye Davies said:
TDI-line said:

200 gallons

after sleeping on it i think i will go for the fern and crypt low maintanance stylee with a shoal of 5 or 6 17cm discus.

i will of course post pics when i start :D

Good choice, will look forward to seeing the pics. :D

im not sure of the rules of the forum so i wont say in public in case it goes against forum policy :?

There are many plants which just grow too big for most tanks. I'm thinking of common vallis which always trails over the surface and Aponogeton ulvaceous(sp?), not to mention the larger crypts and common swords (E. bleheri etc). A deep tank would look great showing these off. If you have a shop, maybe you could use it to display some of the new LED units which are coming on to the market?

I'm sure people won't mind if you just mention the shop, as long you don't advertise any of the stuff you sell. PFK gets mentioned all the time and no one complains about that!

i am not convinced with the led lighting systems as of yet. i will wait till the systems are proven before i move forward on these.

Hi Sye,if you want to have a look at some articles written on planted discus tanks i could pop them over to your lfs when i get the time regards john,

Hello Simon how the devil are you ?
I suggest Sword plants and lots of them, they come in all shapes and sizes and are native too the discus biotope if I could work out how too post damm pics on this site I would show you how mine is looking at present !!!!!
Anybody want too teach me how too post pics !!!!!!!!!!!!

hi guys,

i know what plants i could/want to put in there..........its just the layout i am pondering. i do have a picture in my head now and im starting to drool :lol:

all pics are much appreciated, especially of your tank jazzy. im sure it is stunning as always ;)

John would also be interested in your articles are there plants that should be avoided with discus

Back