• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

After regeneration my purigen bag is still brown...

Vito

Hi guys, I wanted a little direction here. So last night I attempted to regenerate purigen using plain old unscented household thick bleach (Demestos) 1:1 as recommended by the Seachem website, how ever none of the brown stains have disappeared yet, I know its been about 12 hours and I would have hoped to see an improvement by now, this is the first time I've attempted to regenerate this 100ml and its been in my filter for 6 months.
Could it be the bleach im using?
Could it be that its exhausted and rendered useless due to me using TetraPondSafe as a declhor?
Or am I just doing it wrong?
Please shed some light before I go out and buy a new batch.
Thanks

Best to use thin bleach, the thick stuff contains something that stops it from recharging. So, the cheap supermarket stuff is best ime.

"Makes tap water safe for fish by removing harmful compounds and adding beneficial substances."

Heres a quote from the tetra website
The beneficial substances probably clog the purigen and make it useless but i dont know if they are removed by recharging or not. Seachem safe and seachem prime are your best option if using purigen.

Thanks for the advice guys... I've come to the conclusion that the Purigen I was using is exhausted because looking at the water in my tank seems the same even though the purigen isn't in the filter so I've gone and ordered 200ml and a new bag as this one looks totally messed up, this time I will only used seachem prime for my de-chlor.

Back