• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Should I add MTS?? - Yeay or Nay?

its a big yayyyy from me, i have them in all my tanks but find it hard to keep them in with my crays. they will stay under water and wont escape. the only reason they would try and leave the water is if there was bad water.

Yeah I was after some, LD was trying to dig a few up for me.... No problem LD, Spalding has kindly offered to send me a few out, but thank you too for offering and looking for some :D

Yours are obviously happy in there and don't want to leave. Maybe they heard of your plans to send them away and all went into hiding, LOL :?

Mr Bee said:
Yours are obviously happy in there and don't want to leave. Maybe they heard of your plans to send them away and all went into hiding, LOL :?
Gotta cut their internet access to UKAPS!!!

LOL LD! :lol: :lol:

OK, so I should have some MTS arriving in the post sometime today (our post is not very reliable for what time it will be!) but I've just thought of something......

Do you have to acclimatise them to the tank water as you do when adding fish?

Same kind of thing - Hang in a bag (or whatever) in the tank for temperature match, and add my tank water to theirs over a time period; say 10% of their original volume every 10 mins or something?

Wolfenrook said:
I didn't with my mahogany trumpet snails, or my apple snails, just put them straight in. They don't usually come packed in water, so 3x the volume of nothing would be nothing. :) Mine came wrapped in moist filter floss in an expanded styrene 'sauce' cup.

Ade
Ditto, mine have never been acclimatised, just dropped straight in.

i just plopp them in aswell, as they have trapdoors and can acclimatise them selves if need be.

Oh I see, didn't realise they survived out of water for transportation. Well, my MTS didn't arrive today as I'd hoped, the post must be a little slow :(

Out of interest, how long can they survive out of water during shipping?

They were due to be shipped on tuesday, but didn't come today, will they still be alive and well for another day if it takes til tomorrow or the day after?

I've had MTS survive in the post for a few days, it does depend on how they are packaged but generally they are quite hardy little things and should be ok when you get them.

they can survive months outa water. i had a bucket with a few in for over 1 month in the shed with no water either. when i filled it up with tank water, within 5-10 minutes they were crawling around. they have a trapdoor which will keep the moister in so dont worry mate.

I have an old tank stored in my garage. It just has gravel and an inch of 'sludge' in it.
MTS have been alive in there for over a year now!

Hmm, this seems to be suggesting that MTS could very easily survive in our waterways and we need to be really careful when disposing of those babies which get sucked up with the water during a water change...

i empty my tank water on my plants in the garden after a wc. they love it, and that way nothing goes in to the loo and can populate else were.

Back