• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lots of plants.

Hi Alan, great tank.

Have you experimented with on and off times of co2 or is 24 hrs just what works so you have stuck with it?

Hi Alan, great tank.

Have you experimented with on and off times of co2 or is 24 hrs just what works so you have stuck with it?
Hi bridgey_c
Thanks for your comment.
Yes I am adding 24 hr of co2 and I like the result.
I find out that plants like Rotala Magenta grows better this way, Erios as well.
Regards
Alan

This is what Tom Barr has to say....
Post 526 "Dutch something or the other" 120 Gal | Page 27 | UK Aquatic Plant Society

I see no good reason to ever add CO2 24/7.
ADA and myself are in agreement about a number of things, this is one of them.
Amano says it is "taboo"(his words, not mine).

It does not help nor helps fish in anyway.

Poor delivery while the CO2 is being added it much more the issue or, too much degassing.
CO2 is not a salt and does not involve osmoregulation in fish like changing the pH with say baking soda(which is a salt).

Hair algae is a good sign of lots of light and not quite enough CO2.
If you added even less CO2, then BBA and other algae species would appear.

This is what Tom Barr has to say....

Post 526 "Dutch something or the other" 120 Gal | Page 27 | UK Aquatic Plant Society

I see no good reason to ever add CO2 24/7.

ADA and myself are in agreement about a number of things, this is one of them.

Amano says it is "taboo"(his words, not mine).

It does not help nor helps fish in anyway.

Poor delivery while the CO2 is being added it much more the issue or, too much degassing.

CO2 is not a salt and does not involve osmoregulation in fish like changing the pH with say baking soda(which is a salt).

Hair algae is a good sign of lots of light and not quite enough CO2.

If you added even less CO2, then BBA and other algae species would appear.

Yes maybe is it right but I am happy to add 3 bubbles per 2 second 24hr. than 3 bubbles in one second for 10 or 12 hr.
I also asked many people in here about that. Most of them using co2 24hr. Here is many collectors
http://www.aquaforum.ua/forumdisplay.php?f=128
I have very good water circulation, most of my plants was not growed well like now.
I am not saying that is good way. Before I was adding co2, when lights was switched on only. But not now.

I am just sharing what I am doing in my tank.

Ah yes of course if you are happy with your method that is great & it is also very interesting! :)
Yes it's ok for a try, until I will have some problems.
Plants, and fish is ok. ;)

Bacopa Colorata
o7qL9Tr.jpg

o3e5xOM.jpg

Yes maybe is it right but I am happy to add 3 bubbles per 2 second 24hr. than 3 bubbles in one second for 10 or 12 hr.
I also asked many people in here about that. Most of them using co2 24hr. Here is many collectors
http://www.aquaforum.ua/forumdisplay.php?f=128
I have very good water circulation, most of my plants was not growed well like now.
I am not saying that is good way. Before I was adding co2, when lights was switched on only. But not now.

I am just sharing what I am doing in my tank.

thanks for sharing Alan, it's great to get an insight from different successful growers.

I've been experimenting with CO2 and strong surface agitation (not aeration as this has no real degassing benefit) as per Plantbrain's methods as a mechanism of climbing to a good level of CO2 and then plateauing there, there's some great graphs of this method where pH is charted through the day.

When my water is degassed the pH is 7.6+, with injection in this way you can measure pH over the day you can achieve a constant 6.4, 6.8 whatever you want my adjusting bubble rate / surface agitation, or both...

When I realised I could plateau at a given pH and effectively target a stable pH and a safe and equilibrium rate of CO2 in the tank I thought I'd chance it over 24hrs. I got up through the night for fear of gassing the fish, but the ph held: indicating the equilibrium between injection and degassing was holding independent of plant respiration, etc....

So I'm testing out 24 hr CO2 with strong surface agitation, reasons for me is that I'm stubbornly persisting with high kH tap water and I wonder whether the enzyme activity of plants is effected by pH, in other words at night with no CO2 the plants metabolism is strained by too high / unstable pH for the enzymes to work effectively, and for trace ions to be readily available for plants etc. So by keeping pH constant at 6.5 I keep ions chelated and enzymes active....maybe....

ps shrimp and fish show no signs of stress, perhaps it helps them assimilate to a given level of CO2 also. Only downer is knowing I'm rinsing the CO2.

cheers

Hi all, Fantastic, I remember the first one ~ Caloglossa beccari, from this thread <Plant (?) identification - NAME FOUND - Caloglossa! | UK Aquatic Plant Society>, but the other one looks really intriguing. I've seen a similar marine green algae (Chlorophyta - Codium tomentosum) <Codium tomentosum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia>, but not any Red algae (Rhodophyta).

cheers Darrel

The first algae is
Caloglossa sр. beccarii
And second one is
Thorea hispida

Regards
Alan

Hi all, Thanks Alan, new one on me, although I've now found that is actually a rare native algae in the UK. I see a bit about it on German
forums, it will be interesting to see if it becomes established in the hobby.

cheers Darrel

Honestly I find them in UK. ;) And I got them from there.
I hope this guys can see this message and will share with others. :)
Regards
Alan

Back