• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Approx. cost of running a Nano

Tom

Is anyone here good at calculating the cost of electricity? I'm looking into starting a small tank at uni with gear I already have, but on such a small budget, I need to know how much it's gonna cost to run.

Basically the system would have a light (24w for 8 hours), a solenoid-run CO2 unit (no idea wattage, 8 hours), and a small external filter (8w).

If anyone's calculated this sort of thing before, it would be interesting to hear. I'm not looking for an exact cost, just a guide.

Thanks,
Tom

Ive just put mine in a electric cost calculator and worked it on everything turn on 24 hours a day

Light 11w
Heater 25w
Filter 20w
Solinoid 12w

At 12.7p kw and its 21p a day but in the real world its cheaper than that as the lights heater and solinoid arnt on for 24 hours a day

Good to know! I'm looking at getting my own place this year as an investment (parents own, I rent from them), rather than sharing the rent between 4 guys and putting money down the drain every month. Makes it a lot easier to fit hobbies in and I'm craving another tank after so long!

if you successfully breed shrimp in it it could pay for itself :D

Reactions: Tom
Back