• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
It looks really cloudy.. :(

Maybe add some purigen to the filter? Or drop some floculant there? Why would it be so cloudy?

Youd need tons of purigen in that bad boys sump mate. I saw it at weekend but had left my phone and camera at home and its still not massively clearer than the day it was filled up.
The sumps huge too so id have thought it would have cleared by now. Im passing by on saturday so am getting some proper shots of it when I nip in.
Still think the whopping diffuser needs moving though as its just getting sucked straight into the intake and probably getting gassed off but id probably get told where to go if I mentioned it lol

More pictures of the scape. Looks to be clearing up now and has new residents in the form of a large number of Rainbow fish.

IkbKlm9.jpg

dDUpbz7.jpg

aL6vh4J.jpg

oAnOkdR.jpg

Can confirm the water is still Turgid !! Hopefully it will clear in time - huge volume to scrub . I also felt that some lighting highlights would help , maybe as water clears this will sparkle a touch more . Think a tank this size would benefit from something a touch bigger like Discus or Altums !!
The two smaller planted tanks on general display were nicely presented though - fish and plants on display were nice and healthy looking I thought the variety of fish was Very poor ( especially with competition from The Abyss on your doorstep ) .
Look forward to re-visiting soon !

Ps -minus 100 points for whoever cleaned the glass and took a bloody big lump out of it , unfortunately it stands out like a sore thumb !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not surprised that the smaller setup is a pro job - my wife was with me and felt that it had a better wow factor than the big one !! I'm sure once the big one's matured it will be quite spectacular - I suppose the bigger ( and deeper) the setup the longer it takes to mature .

Regarding my comment on fishes , I'm sure a big school of mature Bleeding Hearts would look fantastic too !!

I'll certainly be keeping an eye out next time in Stockport !

Not yet !! I want to see it mature a bit and the water sparkle - to be honest I was disappointed , it didn't make me want to stand and stare . As before the fish did nothing for me . BAS in Bolton used to have a big display and I could stand and look at that !
I was more impressed with the George Farmer , but that's pretty much done and won't look much different next time as I'm sure the main display will !
Just an honest opinion Alastair and I'm quite sure time will change my mind !

If the water is still not clear after over a month then something is not right, either with the filtration, maybe bacteria, or it is an algae bloom..

Maybe the filtration is not enough?

It should have cleared by now..

What about the other large tanks? Did they clear up?

Just thought I would share the tank my local p@h have done

evepu2e3.jpg

Not quite as grand but then at least they are having a go :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

The other tanks were all "standard" size setups and were crystal clear !
The important thing about any display in any LFS is that anyone visiting should walk in and say I want that at home . My LFS for years had a fantastic planted display with nice pair Sturisoma , cardinal shoal , nice Dwarf cichlids ,Emperors and shoal of big fat Cory's - made you want it yourself . New owners come in , strip it down and have a big tank under counter full off Bogwood , big 'rescued?' Catfish and a few drab big cichlids . Whenever I ( decreasingly) went in I just though ' Hope they've got good filtration , 'cos there's a lot a pooing going on in there ' No WOW , no that's clever just poo.
I understand that a lot of LFS are run by hobbyists and for some big Catfish float their boat ,but the best ones understand that to make a living you have to embrace retail too . Maybe that's where the likes of P@H are on top of their game - full marks to them for putting a good spin on it !

The other tanks were all "standard" size setups and were crystal clear !
The important thing about any display in any LFS is that anyone visiting should walk in and say I want that at home . My LFS for years had a fantastic planted display with nice pair Sturisoma , cardinal shoal , nice Dwarf cichlids ,Emperors and shoal of big fat Cory's - made you want it yourself . New owners come in , strip it down and have a big tank under counter full off Bogwood , big 'rescued?' Catfish and a few drab big cichlids . Whenever I ( decreasingly) went in I just though ' Hope they've got good filtration , 'cos there's a lot a pooing going on in there ' No WOW , no that's clever just poo.
I understand that a lot of LFS are run by hobbyists and for some big Catfish float their boat ,but the best ones understand that to make a living you have to embrace retail too . Maybe that's where the likes of P@H are on top of their game - full marks to them for putting a good spin on it !

Sounds like fish world???

And if im honest this tank does get lots of people looking at it when Ive been in. If the water was clearer then youd see how fantastic and how much hard work went into this.
It really is stunning its just unfortunate that you've not seen it fully lit and clear

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Not a bad guess there , they've recently moved to new premises so I'm interested to see how the new site develops . They've always been helpful and knowledgable but I've felt for a long time that the 'retail' part of the business needs that bit of polish !
From a quality and variety point of view where in the NW do people favour ! Recently I've been impressed by Abyss and Pier Aquatics .

Back