• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The evolution of "George"

Green Fever

Seedling
I started fish keeping in January 2012 with 2 goldfish in a fishbowl for my then 2 1/2yr old daughter. After about 2 weeks my wife said the fish looked sad so we went out and bought a 3cm common pleco, 25l kit tank which came with some blue gravel, a plastic plant and a plastic pirate :eek:. I bought some pink light "for plants" (20w t8) and mondo grass and Alternanthera Reinekii. It had a few changes and in its peak it looked like this :

kn9ce16e02vw78fgcdha.jpg

:what: :facepalm:

I moved into my new house in July 2012 and bought my 3ft 100l. I really got hooked on plants in that tank. In October I got a custom 4ft 300l as my tank was too small. Final pic before dismantling.

o26pwnwj3yc4h3d590t8.jpg

:meh:

I took an old cupboard/desk I found in the house I bought and rebuilt it to house my new tank. I cut reinforcement in to support the weight, changed the drawers for hinged doors, squared everything up and painted it. I think it came out pretty well:

nbmnt1w01zsfzr4pyhm.jpg

3c8581okqbwyewgxbssi.jpg

lz78074brmh5s0glk6o.jpg

g9xl7xcau6ytkiol0j0.jpg

And then the best part. The tank went on top of the cupboard on 12 October 2012 and then fun really began...
28 October 2012
lsi0h0u9p3f4k5t81qud.jpg

November 2012
g5b5w35eufcmwdfhr.jpg

December 2012
1p1x2ighuqce2529jtum.jpg

January 2013 - DIY co2 Injection
lyh2eb9i6n2zuz8cll3z.jpg

wow that is quiet a evolution! what happened between Feb and March? different K lights? or new camera? :D... everything got a lot greener!

looks great though!

wow that is quiet a evolution! what happened between Feb and March? different K lights? or new camera? :D... everything got a lot greener!

looks great though!

Thanks very much and well spotted. I originally had 2x54w T5's (10000k & 8000k) and added 2x54w (6500k). I also started pressurised co2 injection in February.

Well that's my entire journey to date and these are all the specs:

300l
Dimensions:1.2x0.5x0.5 = 300l
Ferts: Full Seachem range as per their dosing charts
Lights: 4x54w T5's (2x6500k, 1x8000k and 1x10000k) - Lights on 17h00-23h00
Filtration: Dolphin C1300 canister; 2xInternal filters
Co2: Up Aqua reg, 2kg extinguisher, Ista 3 in 1 diffuser, Ista - All angle drop checker - co2 on 16h00-22h00
Subtrate: Inert - Silica gravel (0.4 - 4mm)
Fauna: Scalare Pterophyllum (3), Harlequin Rasbora (10), Guppies (plenty), Longfin Ancistrus, Trilineatus Corydoras (3), Sterbai Corydoras (5), SAE (5), Nothobranchius Guentheri (2), Colisa Lalia
Flora: Collectoritis sufferer...

Great progression from January 2012. Really love march 2013 photo, and its current look too. Lovely tank.

Thanks very much Ady and to all the other "likes". I got tank of the month on 2 local forums for the March era of my tank. I was really chuffed with it. Unfortunately I was and still am learning how big the plants get and where they should go so the tank got completely wild and I ran out of place to put the cuttings so I landed up removing 3/4 of the hardscape for a bit more planting space.
Great progression from January 2012. Really love march 2013 photo, and its current look too. Lovely tank.

I am enjoying the current scape/jungle/garden and recently acquired some Echinodorus Tennelus which has started sending runners and turning a golden/red colour. Let's see if I can grow a carpet...

Also my hemianthus micranthemoides has got quite big so I'd like to trim it low and see if I can get compact growth out of it

Thanks a lot oldbloke. It is a necessary evil here with the cost of everything being so damn expensive! I learn't a lot with the build of my cabinet and there are a few things I would do differently if I did the exercise again.
Everybody's a bloody master joiner these days.......;)

Great job.

Great job!

I'm a bit disappointed not to see photos charting my life from babyhood though. :)
Thanks George. Those were going to be my next pics ;) :D

Thanks very much Gill. I like to think I've progressed decently in a year in planted tanks. I like to look back through my pics every now and then to see where the tank has come from.

Not much of an aquascaper but I can certainly grow jungles :)

Back