• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Need help in selecting light

Rajesh

Seedling
Hi All,

This is my 1st post
My Tank size 39*15*24 inches
Currenly i m using
2 865(6500k) Osram DULUX PLL 36W
2 840(4000k) Osram DULUX PLL 36W (Added just 3 days back earlier it was 2 865 lights)

Now the problem is
I think the Light is not penitrating enougf as internode distance between 2 leaves is more and my carpet plants also start to grow vertically. I know this light is less

I m confused which light to add now from following option. Or should i use them in combination

1) 2 840(4000k) Osram DULUX PLL 36W
2) 2 OSRAM Flora 77 2feet light
3) 2 865(6500k) Osram DULUX PLL 36W
4) 2 feet 880 Osram T8 i think it is 28 w
5) Azoo lights

MH is way to costly for me.

Yes i m giving sufficient Co2 (Presurerised + Sechem excel also) So Co2 is not a problem.

What's the turnover of your filter and how are you dissolving your Co2? You may not have good Co2 distribution at the substrate level.

Unless my calculations are wrong, you have about 2.9wpg of light, which is high. You do not have insufficient light. Certainly, to the eye, your new bulbs may not look as bright as the ones they replaced but your plants will be getting just as much light. All you have changed is the colour spectrum of the light. If it looks dimmer to you, that is because there is less of the green spectrum, but the plants don't care about that.

You have not reduced the power of the light only changed the colour of it. You do not have less light!

If there are any problems with your plants then it will be due to either not enough co2 or poor distribution of the co2.

Is your drop checker green?
However powerful is your filter?

Structural problems of plants are mostly down to poor CO2 or problems with the flow and distribution of the CO2. Adding more lights increases this problem. More lights means that plants need more CO2 and nutrients. Instead of messing with your lighting level try to combat the problems caused by the CO2 as others have said. As Squid commented Kelvin means little to nothing in terms of growing plants, plants do not care about what the colour of light they're receiving as long as its light. At the end of the day Kelvin is only there for your viewing purposes.

I m using Eheim 2075 Professional 3 filter. I m diffusing Co2 thru ceramic disc. I have kept it under the filer outlet so that it will dissolve more. 2 bubbles/sec.
I am also using sechem excel 5ml on alternate day.
I have not noticed perling of plants in recent times now...
4000k light will inhance redness of plants? or it will make plant more bushy? also what is the effect of 8000k light?

I m using Eheim 2075 Professional 3 filter. I m diffusing Co2 thru ceramic disc. I have kept it under the filer outlet so that it will dissolve more. 2 bubbles/sec.
I am also using sechem excel 5ml on alternate day.
I have not noticed perling of plants in recent times now...
4000k light will inhance redness of plants? or it will make plant more bushy? also what is the effect of 8000k light?

Apparently Plants are not effected by change of spectrum whatsoever.
Spectrum only changes how the tank looks to you, with higher 15-20k giving Blue, often used in marine tanks. 6-8000 being yellower and representing a more daylight feel and a lower for example your 4000 increasing the red and bringing out certain colours in fish as well as as all round softer look.

So choose a bulb that you like the look of, but daylight shades are preferred In Freshwater tanks.

If you have stem plants and feel like they're not becoming bushy try giving them a good old trim this will encourage the plants to become brush as two side shoots will grow out from the area that has been cut.You can them replant the stems and repeat the steps above once the cuttings grow in.

In my opinion if you dose Excel every other day may not necessarily be wise and could lead to some CO2 problems. Its better to dose daily or not at all because CO2 is like drugs to plants once they get used to it you should dose daily like you would via gas injection.

As Michael says, if you are going to dose excel, dose it every day or not at all.

I think I've calculated right from inches to cm to litres - your tank is about 228 litres? This means that your filter will not be providing enough flow. It's ok for an unplanted tank but to get anywhere near the circulation of co2 you require for plants you need a flow rate about 10x the size of your tank. The Eheim 2075 has a flow of 1250l/hr but you need something like 2280l/hr. You could increase this either by adding another filter or a powerhead (cheaper option).

Back