• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Just how much C02 do you use!

Again, it has been similar to Ady, about 9 week's running a single UP inline in a 260 litre, however, I have recently split my cO2 to both filters and 2 inlines so I would expect my 2kg FE to run out sooner:eek:
Need to get s 5 kg if it will fit in my cabinet I think;)

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk 4

Bloody hell. I'm using a BOC 5kg cylinder with gas on for 6 hours a day at a bubble rate faster than I can count. This going into a reactor chamber.

I started using this very beginning of January. It's still going strong!

Drop checker is always lime green :)

Forgot to say, it's a 180L tank.
Dude, how tall is your BOC 5kg with reg attached? Need to see if one will fit my cabinet;)
Cheers Clive

Dude, how tall is your BOC 5kg with reg attached? Need to see if one will fit my cabinet;)
Cheers Clive

I'll have a measure up for you tomorrow pal and I'll send you a message. Size your after is VB.

Sure my cabinet is 80cm and it gets in there but I'll double check tomorrow for ya ;)

I use a sodastream bottle and had it on an 80l tank for the past 3-4 weeks using an inline diffuser at around 1-2 bubbles per sec and it lasted me a week and a half. Just moved it to my rio 400 and have it at around 4-5 bubbles per sec using a big glass diffuser so will update the results when I need a refill. Also waiting for a 2kg FE in the post

I use the Sodestream setup as well and while I can't count the bubbles, I usually get through one bottle very two weeks. Ordering another FE now as I have a local place that recycles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

You might consider a simpler approach that's standard and faster:
Invert a milliliter measuring cup, eg, a cooking measuring cup with mls on it.
Place under water with all the air removed, take the CO2 line, bubble the gas into the cup and after 5 minutes, or some time frame, measure the volume of gas.

So say your rate of CO2 is 300 mls/5 minutes or something........
300mls/300 seconds = 1 ml sec.

this is a rather high rate, maybe my 120 Gallon uses this amount.

This is much better than the above suggestions, here's why:

1. Faster.
2. Many use CO2 for 6 hours, 7, hours, 10 hourd per day, the per day methods does NOT factor that in to the rate of use.
3. Measuring cup everyone has already vs a smaller weight scale.

I've used this method and estimated the mls/sec on various sized tanks from 1600 Gallons down to 70 Gallons, works quite well for me.
Everyone can do this method also even if they want to keep doing the tank time frames.

But mls of gas /sec or minute is a much better standard.

Back