• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CRS FEEDING TIME

bogwood

Just a couple of pictures of my CRS getting there weekly treat,
9614906867_b8677c4105_b.jpg
9618147078_49306d01b4_b.jpg
9618146836_4c1bfb06ec_b.jpg

Thanks basil.
Im really pleased with them. And with having no fish in , they seem to be out and about all the time, fascinating to watch.

Great to see a strong colony of home bred shrimp. How long have you been breeding them?

Great to see a strong colony of home bred shrimp. How long have you been breeding them?
Hi, Basil.
First tried, about 4 years ago, but it was all new, and i had a lot of problems. So just concentrated on planted tanks.
Last year decided to do it properly 3, dedicated CRS tanks, Ro and NO fish, TDS 130, GH 5, Temp 71/72 and ADA substrate and Moss.
I bought the parents as very young ones about 8 months ago, and the end of June they starting breeding like rabbits......... its great:)

Hey Bogwood
They look smashing.
Can I ask what type/grade of CRS they are?
Regards
R
Thanks. R:)
Probably about 24 breeding adults, split between two tanks.

Purchased 9 mths ago approx. I mainly bought SS-SSS. from 3 sources.
There are a few of lower grade mixed in.
There must be 250/300 young now, and some very interesting colours amongst them.

Ive just moved 50 youngsters to my 80ltr planted signature set up, so fingers crossed all goes Ok.

Hi Bogwood
I am confused on the breeding stuff. And wonder if you could point me in the right direction at the risk of hijacking your thread a little.
I have some normal SS grade CRS. Do they just produce more SS grade shrimp or is their offspring lesser quality?
If I add PRL I assume they will breed with the normal SS grade, but what would their offspring grade be?
Thanks in advance
Regards
Roly

H
Hi Bogwood

I am confused on the breeding stuff. And wonder if you could point me in the right direction at the risk of hijacking your thread a little.

I have some normal SS grade CRS. Do they just produce more SS grade shrimp or is their offspring lesser quality?

If I add PRL I assume they will breed with the normal SS grade, but what would their offspring grade be?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Roly

Hey Roly,

When Breeding SS shrimp, the majority should be of a similar quality to the parents with maybe a few even better or worse.
Adding PRL will intensify the colours of the SS but if they are SS PRL then they will have no effect on Pattern, just colour intensity.

Hi Bogwood
Thanks in advance
Regards
Roly
Hi.
Nathaniel has answered it for you. Im not really experienced enough to add anything more.
Its a new area of fish keeping for me.

I have not yet got round to pairing individual shrimps.....thats next.
Ive just left then to it, but the results are a fair reflection of the adults coloration, and a few nice surprises.
cheers.

Hi Michael
Yep seen that one along with a few others. Thanks.
I saw a breeding chart on shrimp toast.com, but have not quite got my head around it.

I was just curious as to whether my SS ones would breed inferior grade or the same. But it's seems like a potential mixture.
Waiting for the fun to start.
Thanks again. Most helpful.
Roly

I think what most people do will separate the inferior grades into another tank or something and keep the ones similar to the parents in the same tank and pick ones that look better in another but I can't be sure. I have kept CRS before but as a student and due to their need I just couldn't spend the time and money to keep the setup going, instead they went to a friend of mine. I'm hoping in the future I could start up a CRS tank again but It won't be any time soon.

P.S you might be able to find some info from this forum ShrimpNow !!!

Back