• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA Video - WOW!

Mind boggling... one question tho, when you see the back of the 7m tank you can see how deep the substrate is.... how do they stop all the anerobic bacteria building up?

Mind boggling... one question tho, when you see the back of the 7m tank you can see how deep the substrate is.... how do they stop all the anerobic bacteria building up?

Hi Samuran,

I asked this question a while ago, and this is the answer i got from George Farmer>

"Aqua Soil and similar products are very porous. They also promote great root growth that produces oxygen. These factors combined help minimise the risk of excess anaerobic bacteria etc".

Hope that helps?

Hi Lee

Thanks for that, I didnt know if they used some kind of under substrate heating to induce convection currents through the substrate but I guess they don't need to.

Cheers
Ben

Where do you think aquatic plants grow naturally? In anaerobic soil.
All flooded submersed soil is anaerobic. Unless it's like pure sand or has no organic matter.

Where do you think aquatic plants grow naturally? In anaerobic soil.
All flooded submersed soil is anaerobic. Unless it's like pure sand or has no organic matter.

I think that I this instance their questions on 'prevention of Anaerobic soil' is directed at fish health as oppose to plant health.

I think that I this instance their questions on 'prevention of Anaerobic soil' is directed at fish health as oppose to plant health.

If it's anaerobic in the sediment, then by the very nature of anaerobic soil, you cannot have circulation from above, because then it would no longer be anaerobic, it would be aerobic.
If there's no circulation, then it cannot pose an issue because it's isolated from the aerobic zone where the livestock are. In both cases, plants and livestock, this should not be an issue, the same natural setting applied to fish in lakes and rivers, the sediment is still anaerobic other than a shallow small top layer, maybe 1-2 cm.

If you own 10 aquariums, then managing that will drain time and detail away from doing say 1-2 tanks VERY well.

George has 1 smaller tank, but he does a lot of nice work on it. I reduced the number down to 3(reef not included or holding tanks), but had 10-12 at one point.
I think the ferns, moss and rock/wood scapes, maybe a few stem plants trimmed once every 1-2 months is not a tough thing to manage.
You quickly learn which weeds will be trouble over time, and which will work out nicely.
But newbies rarely see the maturity in this advice.
Later, afterwards, they learn.

Like a Japanese garden in the terrestrial side, it takes a lot of labor.
Same with Bonsai. Reefs take less labor than planted tanks.

But at this scale, they are willing to pay for the upkeep which is likely about 1000$ per service day.
General tending might be less, but may be done in house. What would they pay for a nice landscaped garden with a koi pond?
More.

So it's a relatively good deal.

I'm struck as to why they do not do a large water change, then trim the lower sections.
Then refill and trim the top sections. This way you get a good water change and a good cleaning and trimming all in one go.
Glass suction disc can be used when you do the large water change to avoid touching the sediment and to use as hand holds.
Reef frag viewers work much better than that cheesy bucket.

As you can see, dealing with deeper tanks is a PITA, anything over about 100cm is insane.
They spent a few hours just trimming.
Then a few hours vacuuming the other tank.
Tanks this size will give you a bad heachache and cost a lot more than you think.
So having a couple of younger helper monkeys, certainly the way to go.

If it's anaerobic in the sediment, then by the very nature of anaerobic soil, you cannot have circulation from above, because then it would no longer be anaerobic, it would be aerobic.
If there's no circulation, then it cannot pose an issue because it's isolated from the aerobic zone where the livestock are. In both cases, plants and livestock, this should not be an issue, the same natural setting applied to fish in lakes and rivers, the sediment is still anaerobic other than a shallow small top layer, maybe 1-2 cm.

Understood, but in the enclosed environment, when it comes to tank maintenance, the aquarist could unwillingly displace said anaerobic bacteria and this would cause problems.

Less so in a stream or river which has millions of times more volume than the aquarists tank to absorb any threat such as this.

I am not, however, arguing with someone of your stature about aquascaping :lol:

Ps. Labor just looks wrong without a 'U' as does 'Color' :p

bit too much disrespect being put on the employees for my liking, where's that coming from?

bit too much disrespect being put on the employees for my liking, where's that coming from?

They like the work, they are getting paid and they get to be Amano's minions.
The hours of work suck though, 12 am till about 6 am?
Amano is likely too old and stiff to do this type of work.

These guys said they got nose bleeds from hanging upside down:)
You do get a massive headaches, I've never had a nose bleed though.

Still, they could avoid a lot of pain by doing the water change, it is NOT like they trim the tank daily, maybe once every month or two.
They at least do a 2x a month water change of 25-40%. That is what the water change is for mostly for deep tanks.
The smaller tank with the white sand, they could EASILY swim in the tank and stand on the sand.

It's like they are trying to make the labor harder on themselves or something, I'm not quite clear on that.

Understood, but in the enclosed environment, when it comes to tank maintenance, the aquarist could unwillingly displace said anaerobic bacteria and this would cause problems.

Less so in a stream or river which has millions of times more volume than the aquarists tank to absorb any threat such as this.

I am not, however, arguing with someone of your stature about aquascaping :lol:

Ps. Labor just looks wrong without a 'U' as does 'Color' :p

This really is a myth, talking about anearobic build ups in substrates...yes there will be build ups, there is many theories out there that plant roots use these nasties. The main nasty that is in this build up is hydrogen sulfide, this is the most dangerous.

However, In water, as soon as hydrogen sulfide comes into contact with any oxygen, it will become harmless. So, even if there is a pocket, and even if you accidentally stir it up, it will become harmless as soon as it hits your well-oxygenated water.

I'm also sure you'd need a bubble the size of the tank for it to actually do any damage, as these bubbles tend to rise so quickly, they don't even disapate in the water.

Back