• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

GA 90P slow grown fern tank

viktorlantos said:
Mrmikey said:
While we're chatting can i ask a question. I just got a luminaire 2x24w t5. I have blocked on bulb off so only have 1 24w over the tank. Is this still too much light for moss? Tank is 26inch l x 12 h x 15w :) cheers

Too much light for moss?
Mosses do better with more lights and other optimal conditions.
But they survive in low light in some cases.

Check this

5796681968_42769f8699_b.jpg

This is Christmas moss in our tank which survive in very low light too. But you will never see this in such a beauty form like on the photo. We're using here the powerful ATI light with 4 T5 tubes to give the max power to the stems. But moss also looks beautiful in this condition. EI ferts, CO2, Easy Carbo, weekly 40% water change with full RO.

Well I always thought I'd use low light on my moss but if all conditions are optimal I may consider using a bit more. The photo you posted is really nice, and I see what you mean about the nice form. This is what I want to achive.
The sukuras I've heard are bullet proof that's why I wanna try a few first.
I've learnt a fare bit from this little chat cheers viktor so I have some new things to try.

That last picture you posted is not the same as the actual GA 90P slow grown fern tank right? Confused! My Xmas moss is doing quite badly at the moment. Kinda brownish/dull green. It's funny because when I trim the moss and put them in a tub, the moss actually gets GREENER than whats in the tank. I've read from Amano that it may be related to nitrogen excess... could this be true?

flygja said:
That last picture you posted is not the same as the actual GA 90P slow grown fern tank right? Confused! My Xmas moss is doing quite badly at the moment. Kinda brownish/dull green. It's funny because when I trim the moss and put them in a tub, the moss actually gets GREENER than whats in the tank. I've read from Amano that it may be related to nitrogen excess... could this be true?

Nope they are 2 different tanks :D

Well i do not know what could be the issue with the moss. We only have this if we let the moss dry out in their original holder pack. This goes very well with high light CO2 tanks, but even in the shrimp tanks where only minimal ferts are added weekly, no CO2 and no high light.

This most is one of the mosses which survive in many condition. Even in very low light.

Hi Viktor,

Do you possibly have another shot of that tank with X-mas moss? Current one or maybe also the one showing hardscape beneath?
I would really appreciate if you do and could share it. Thanks.

schraptor said:
OK found it mate :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/viktorlant ... otostream/

Are these ADA riccia stones that you use for moss?
Have you added more moss next to the one seen on the picture or everything has grown from those small pieces?

Cheers there :D

good catch. :thumbup: yup we used riccia stone on the bottom and fixed like 3-4 portions of christmass moss there. on the left tree we used like 2 portions of c. moss. from this point everything just grow in nicely.
with soft water probably the growth speed was quicker here.

1st day

5384105904_2d323fcac2_z.jpg

1.5 month

5515551850_373d11fee1_z.jpg

3.5 months

5707896112_dfa13b3449_z.jpg

in the tank lifecycle we changed a couple things. especially on the back. changed the stems a couple times.
the last verison was this with Mattogrossense at 8 months old

6175042492_5e500535d7_z.jpg

This week we changed again the back plants as Matto was too much and was hard to handle. So we added in Pogo Stellata, Rotala Rotundifolia, Rotala Sp. Green. Will show the result a few weeks later. ;)

Stunning looking tank. Do you do full EI regime in it?
regards,
fandango

Viktor,

Thanks for replying, I was really curious how fast did it grow to such size. Looking at the pictures it grew really nice and very fast. I'm still waiting for my mosses to kick in :)
My water is not too soft, but on the other hand I grew HC carpet as healthy as in your iwagumi with my tap water.

The more of see your display aquariums the more I want to visit you guys. You must have the best NA displays in the world. Seriously. I went to a great shop in Barcelona recently - it was very very nice, but your shop is on a different level entirely.

Anyway, super aquascape mate.

flygja said:
Great looking tank as usual. Plants definitely do much better in colder water. Here in Malaysia, normal tank water gets up to 31-32deg in the afternoon. We have to spend a lot on chillers to keep it at 25-26deg. You guys are lucky :)

I also have a similar problem. The water also should be colder so I also decided to buy a chiller in order to cool down the water a bit. I have not bought a chiller yet but instead I am preferring rental chillers. If I will find a cheap offer I will of course buy a chiller prospectively but until then I am happy with renting one.

Thanks mate ;)

Yup EI mix here with some Easy Carbo. Weekly water changes with full RO. So this is a super soft water tank.

What was the TDS in this tank? How did the DI resin unit perform?
Surely it kept the TDS near zero when it wasn't dosed?

Beautiful tanks as usual viktor.

Man Viktor your work is on par with the best so what ever tricks you do your doing it spot on. Salude to you guys, glass's up!

What was the TDS in this tank? How did the DI resin unit perform?
Surely it kept the TDS near zero when it wasn't dosed?

Beautiful tanks as usual viktor.

Thank you guys. I almost forget this journal :)

We usually have 500 liter pure RO water per day for these displays.
So 50% water change with pure RO (0-20TDS depend on the membrane age)
After water change we do check the TDS. If this is too low like 20-70ppm or so then we add in GH booster (Salty Shrimp currently) to make the water around 120-140ppm
This tank was a full soft water tank without any decoration which would raise the hardness. So these tanks need some boosting if you change with pure RO.

Active soils like Aqua Soil in this tank raise the TDS to 70-80ppm in default. And probably they help also to stabilize the water without need to worry about KH.
I never measure KH and never worry about it. Just measuring TDS changing with full soft water. With fertilizers these works well.

The DI resin....
We had this in for a test. But the tank size required larger softenizer. This ammount only decreased the hardness with 1 or 2 degrees which is nothing. This softenizer is good for smaller tanks, but we removed it later as the resin had to be recharged monthly

Back