• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 Investigation

RossMartin

Hi all,

I had issues with CO2 in my last tank so decided to start again, however i wanted to understand a bit more about the CO2 in my tank.

I understand that ideally i should get my PH to drop by about 1 unit by the time my lights come on. To start with i ran my CO2 at 3 bubbles per second but found my PH dropped by 0.2 of a unit in the two hours before lights on. So i decided to run as many bubles as i could before i effectively opend the tap completly. The table below shows the results:
table.png

I'm currently running an upinline diffuser on a Tetratec EX1200. The CO2 comes from a 2kg fire extinguisher setup.

Am i right in assuming that the above shows me that the way i am diffusing the CO2 into the tank isn't effective and that i should investigate a better way?

Many Thanks

Ross

Hi Ian,

The plants weren't doing well and i didn't have enough experience to suss out if it was poor diffusion or poor distribution. I fancied a rescape anyway so thought i would investigate i had the basics of CO2 right before i started again!

Also with the amount of bubbles i was running to get the PH to 7.3 the tank was full of mist. Much like a snow globe that has just been shaken. Whilst ideally i would like to not have this form an asthetics point of view i do want to do the best for the plants...and the fish.

Thanks

Ross

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the article. I have intended to cut my water 50/50 with RO water as it would benefit the fish that i would like to keep so i assume the alkalinity would halve by using RO Water. According to my water report the alkalinity in my tap water is 314 mgHCO2/l which is probably why getting my PH to drop a whole unit is taking so long.

I'm in the process of making some RO water now so will retest the PH drop once i have added this to the tanks and its at 25 degrees.

I've also ordered the parts to make a reactor like Foxfish's as ideally i would like to avoid mist in the tank as much as possible. I know my JBL e1501 won't be able to run this properly so i will look to buy a Eheim Compact+ to run the reactor, this will also help with the distribution of the CO2 in the tank which i also believe was a problem.

Regarding the lighting i have a TMC 1500 LED that i was running for 6 hours a day at 35% or 40% i can't remember which!

Thanks

Ross

Thanks Tim, as soon as i wrote it should halve i thought to myself that it is pretty unlikely. It will be interesting to see if RO water makes any difference!

Interestingly.....or not! With 50% RO and 50% Tap water the PH started at 7.5 and i could on'y get it to go down to 7.1 over a six hour period. Does anybody know why this is?? I would have thought 50% RO water the PH would have moved a little easier!

Back