• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

any gaming pc boffins

Ill take some pics of mine tomorrow to show you how to install one if you would like.

Just bought a 9800gtx card to go in my old box that I'm selling.
Ebay again.Around £20 is the going rate pretty much

Here goes....
Basic rules, you need to equalise your static charge to prevent any circuit damage, set yourself and any tools you need to get into the case up on a non conductive surface, touch the pc case, then the bag the gpu comes in and touch the bag and the case together. You can now take the gpu out of the bag DO NOT touch the contacts at any point during the process.

Open your case and locate your PCI-e slot, the long blue one in the pic. You will also need to remove the corresponding blank(s) in the rear of the case.

IMG_1003_zps276e4887.jpg
IMG_1005_zps29341f75.jpg

Install your card into the slot and plug in any required connections.
IMG_1006_zps7139916d.jpg

Close everything up, connect the monitor to the gpu and boot up the pc. Once windows has loaded install your drivers. I always download mine to ensure I have the latest ones.

You need to check your power supply has a power out for the gpu, if it doesn't you will need a 2x Molex to gpu card adaptor like this
IMG_1004_zps07a56d4b.jpg

All in all, Simples!!!!

Wow :) thank you for that, its a lot simpler than I was expecting :)

Mark
TBH building a pc from scratch is that easy, its all plug and play. The hardest bit is getting your head around the compatibility of the components.

Fun begins.... Is that when you hit it with a very big hammer :)
Truer than you may think. I had an issue with an old pc that was simply caused one of the ram cards not being seated correctly. Fixed with a solid prod.

Ollie....... your cable management leaves a lot to be desired :rolleyes:!!!
Looks like one of my builds back in the day.
And a stock CPU cooler!! didn't think anyone used them!
Good sound advice tho' Hope it sorts you out

FYI my pc is not a custom built rig. Just an off the shelf one with a couple of bits added that's why its not very tidy. I was on a very tight budget and after bang for buck. £220 pounds for intel g860 3ghz, 8gb of ddr3 ram, 750gb hdd, dvd burner, usb 3.0 and the 9800 gpu. :) Should see me good for the next couple of years.

I've only got one picture of inside my pc... and it's not very good heh

Also it doesnt look like this now there are more graphics cards in the way. I've been down the water cooled route before it became common... the first piece of eheim kit I ever bought was to go inside a PC ;)
IMAG0052.jpg

Ben

Looks good.Never been brave enough to go down the water cooling route.
Should try it for my next build.
Whats your spec there? Modified case or of the shelf?

:D
Water cooling is easy really, the only slightly dodgy bit was filling the system once it was all in place heh
My current one I built a couple of years ago. It is...
i7 2600K with an off the shelf all enclosed liquid cooler thingy.
16GB of DDR3
2 x 60GB SSD's in RAID 0
2 x 1TB storage drives
2 x HD5770's in crossfire (these are pretty old now but are still going strong).

The case is a corsair 600T one of these...
IMG_4384.jpg

Cheers
Ben

Mine is not quite as beefy as that I have i5 3570k 8gb ddr3 80gb ssd 1tb HDD and Asus hd7770 2gb ddr5

Can run everything ultra at the most though so I'm happy as I don't even game anymore :confused: can't seem to find the time. I just buy games and never play em

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I've not even plugged my consoles from the move 2 months ago... not even sure where they are :confused:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Back