• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA Video - WOW!

Diana Walstad in her book Ecology of the Planted Aquarium actually talks about the beneficial aspects of having anaerobic conditions under the substrate near the plant roots. She has around several inches of soil as the substrates in her tanks. The anaerobic bacteria will use most anything for an energy source, reducing nitrates is just one of them. The bacteria can also reduce iron, sulfur, manganese, and so on. The great thing for plants is that these reduced forms are much more easily taken up, so anaerobic conditions help the plants get their micronutrients.

H2S needs/requires a continued source of reduced carbon, the only REAL source of this might be an Aponogeton bulb that dies.
This is basic stuff for wetland soil, and anyone worth their spit in that field.... knows it.

So unless you have a high loading rate of reduced carbon coming into the system, H2S is not going to hang around much.
You need an on going supply of reduced carbon to cause an issue and this links into what Ian above is stating.
I use think if the sediment got too much mulm or organic matter, it might sour, and I'd deep vacuum that area etc.
But then I studied wetland soils and plants.......

Then went back and tried it.

I have not been able to show that it's an issue since then, that was maybe 10+ years ago now.
So I tentatively agree with Ian, it's a myth till someone can show me where it is not.

I'm getting confused... I'm not in anyway trying to cause any kind of problem and want to understand so that when I go down the low tech tank route I don't make too many stupid mistakes...

So are you guys saying that this, taken from here, is wrong? or at least not worth worrying about?
"Soil depth
Well that’s the basic components explained all we need to do now is put them together. Start by placing your slightly moistened soil in the bottom of the tank to a depth of around 2cm, you can slope it up toward the back to 4cm or so if desired. Any deeper and there is a danger that the soil will become too anaerobic. Aquatic sediments are anaerobic by nature and macrophytes have evolved to grow in them but if the sediment is too devoid of oxygen plants have to work harder to uptake nutrients from them. Further, heavy metals and hydrogen sulphide may reach levels toxic to aquatic life."

Cheers
Ben

I'm getting confused... I'm not in anyway trying to cause any kind of problem and want to understand so that when I go down the low tech tank route I don't make too many stupid mistakes...

So are you guys saying that this, taken from here, is wrong? or at least not worth worrying about?
"Soil depth
Well that’s the basic components explained all we need to do now is put them together. Start by placing your slightly moistened soil in the bottom of the tank to a depth of around 2cm, you can slope it up toward the back to 4cm or so if desired. Any deeper and there is a danger that the soil will become too anaerobic. Aquatic sediments are anaerobic by nature and macrophytes have evolved to grow in them but if the sediment is too devoid of oxygen plants have to work harder to uptake nutrients from them. Further, heavy metals and hydrogen sulphide may reach levels toxic to aquatic life."

Cheers
Ben

I'd go as far to say that, that is incorrect (sorry Troi, no offence made by that)If you want a good read about low tech tanks, have a read of Diana walstads ecology of the planted aquarium. It's a heavy read at points, but a very good read.
As Tom states, it's difficult to actually prove, but there's a myriad of people who have kept low tec and high tec tanks that don't stir substrates and don't have any problems.
I mean why would you want to disturb substrates? I would be more worried about the ammonia spike after swirling your substrate around, due to all the crap floating around in you water. This will give you far worse problems.

These tanks are truly incredible!
Id be like to be a 'minion' working on tanks all day!
Lovin' the special 'ADA' grande exclusive range of cut bottle on the end of a broomstick, cable tied tweezer extension and scissors on hedge trimmers tools ;)

"Soil depth

Cheers
Ben

Ben, I've got soil and sand to as deep as 8" in my tank, and have never stirred, poked or even vacuumed it and never had any issues. I get a little gas bubbling up sometimes, but I think it's mainly co2 (have given it a good sniff a few times) and it's never caused problems.

The whole point of low tech is not having to worry about anything, so quit worrying :p

Seen this tank in person a week ago. All i can say this is freakin' awesome! All of them actually, but this giant is mind blowing.

3 or 4 guys do the maintenance work they are the heros

10016442573_4befc5156b_b.jpg
Japan Tour 2013 by viktorlantos, on Flickr

8 hours at night 7 hours a week.... wow! It's a lot of work, but we did not even seen any floating leaf! Sand was like new on every tanks. This type of dedication is something what we can't do.
It's not only money and manpower. Full respect to them

I mainly spent the time on photography, but my business partner talked with the maintenance team.
This large tank get 500ml Brighty K only. No other ferts. They try to slow down the growth and not dose other things til they see defficiency.
On other tanks they do the regular fertilizer routine.

Some shots on the tanks

10016513125_06fd0b1de0_b.jpg

10016507355_fb13e39c1b_b.jpg

10016467854_9b683e20a2_b.jpg

10016632523_4c09a629ae_b.jpg

10016697833_ced9548602_b.jpg

10016309744_1aa70bc214_b.jpg

10016368675_cffe6af25f_b.jpg

10016324914_0c0755193a_b.jpg

10016393796_7e85831450_b.jpg

10016406476_cec968b59a_b.jpg

10016362124_19934ebfe0_b.jpg

10016428295_17fc168c45_b.jpg

10016521743_35615d62ef_b.jpg

10016403294_6ccb706b71_b.jpg

4 hours of maintenance every night! My tanks would look superb with that amount of maintenance too LOL.

Viktor, I looked through your Japan trip photos. Even their fish holding tanks have healthy growing plants in them!

I'd go as far to say that, that is incorrect (sorry Troi, no offence made by that)If you want a good read about low tech tanks, have a read of Diana walstads ecology of the planted aquarium. It's a heavy read at points, but a very good read.
As Tom states, it's difficult to actually prove, but there's a myriad of people who have kept low tec and high tec tanks that don't stir substrates and don't have any problems.
I mean why would you want to disturb substrates? I would be more worried about the ammonia spike after swirling your substrate around, due to all the crap floating around in you water. This will give you far worse problems.

It's been a while but this has just come to my attention so here goes...
...No worries Ian, no offence taken:mad::D , and you're absolutely right to a point. And I'm one of the myriad...I've often gone way beyond 4cm soil depth with no problems whatsoever. However, it's just as well to try and educate as to the potential hazards.
It's an ambiguity that's very difficult to avoid when trying to write responsibly and even more so to qualify without boring the reader to death - although I did try...'aquatic sediments are anaerobic by nature...' especially when the assumption is of no prior knowledge, and even more so when trying to keep it all stupidly simple. I set my stall out to try and simplify Walstad for the very reason it is a bit heavy going at times and not terribly accessible to all.
But nonetheless, it is still true - and those familiar with Walstad's work will know - it is much easier for plants to uptake nutrients in less anaerobic conditions for various reasons. Not least is that an oxidized rhizosphere is more readily colonised by symbiotic mycorrhizae which assist nutrient absorption. Conversely, high levels of H2S can inhibit root development and therefore plant growth, even though roots are fairly good at oxygenating the surrounding sediment. But as mentioned earlier H2S is unlikely to harm critters since it is oxidised to harmless sulfates in the presence of O2.
Hope that clarifies:)

just noticed since this thread popped back up... that its an interesting layout for the outlets... i mean, i dont pretend to understand how amano makes these giant tanks look quite so amazing but 'commoners' sense tells that one pointing at the other is a little odd. Would the one facing the front glass be servicing the left island?? He probably only uses a beetle 30mm anyway so maybe should stop trying equate it :crazy:

Yes...and I also think it looks like they are both reinforcing flow - off the glass - in the same direction across the front, cycling the tank in a good old fashioned circular motion.

Reactions: tim
maybe should stop trying equate it
im gonna stop, it just doesnt make sense. I appreciate the fundamentals, but tanks such as these and many others seem to simply defy all logic in that sense, i suppose thats where experience and 'magic' come into play!....or perhaps its sheer volume acts in many ways like the shallow low techs of Alastair and BigTom, only supercharged with c02 injection and meticulous maintenance?
Id love to see it in the flesh to appreciate the levels of flow within the tank. Ill do what i can at home, and just marvel at aquascapes like these :)

Back