• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best and simplest way to inject CO2?

Also, it's probably another fantasy that manufactures know any more about microbiology than we do. Filter manufacturers know a lot about building plastic buckets and attaching pumps to those buckets. That's about it. Some manufacturers of aquatic products don't even know the first thing about the science of the product that they build. They are simply businessmen who see and fill a market niche. How long ago was it that DC vendors included instructions to use tank water to fill the DC? A totally inappropriate instruction, rendering an already poor tool even more pathetic. WE are the ones who figured out how to use the DC in a way NOT sanctioned by the manufacturer, and which, it turns out works 100% better than "manufactures designed purpose". These manufacturers are the same bozos who remove the media from the bucket when doing the flow rate tests to artificially enhance their official flow throughput ratings. WE are the ones that had to come up with a better formula for figuring out what filter rating to use to give ourselves a better chance of success in a CO2 injected tank.
Theres only one filter designer I know that will tell the truth about his filtration and then give 100% after service,satisfaction and thats Peter waddington.designer of the ERIC filter,which does exactly as he says with no hidden extras,or add ons..The rest is as you say just a big money earner..
Hard to believe but koi are living perfectly ok,with nitrite readings of 5.0ppm on initial start up of filter,totaly illiminating new pond syndrome..(if there is such a thing)
Im new to this planted tank lark, so i ask these questions in a way to get some serious responses,
You can get some really conflicting answers on forums and i believe i now have found people who know what there taking about,you cant knock the man who seeks the truth..

Thanks from a keen learner..

I went to check out the filters Eric has.. ERIC Koi Pond Filtration | The ERIC Range of Koi Pond Filters

They look nice, but expensive..

I still maintain that if one wants "best and simplest" co2 diffusion then a dedicated filter with just balls will work fine..

I am making a small diffuser using the eheim 350's skimmers, inside a black pvc pipe, water and co2 is sucked up through them (from the top) and then pushed out of the bottom, and you can also make a directional nozzle out of plastic.. this will replace the koralias.. it is still under prototype drawings, but as soon as I have a working and tested then I can share more.

Dumb question, but how exactly do these CO2 diffusers work?
I assume a pocket of gas builds up in the top of the tube, is this then just absorbed into the water?
And please remember, I am old and simple and need things spelling out......:confused:

I think you mean reactors?
If so, then they work on the principle of keeping the Co2 bubbles in suspension against a flow of water in a confined space :)

If you had the space, you could for example, have a 5m high length of 50mm pipe with a co2 bubble rising to the top from the bottom.
The bubble would probably completely dissolve into the water before it reached the top
However if we flow some water down the pipe against the rising bubble, then the bubbles assent will be slowed down & the bubble would dissolve way before reaching the top!
So if we design a method of keeping the bubbles in suspension against a flow of water in a smaller space, we have a reactor
Unfortunately this is not quite as easy to achieve inside a really small vessel without a certain amount of bubbles escaping or without a large build up of undissolved C02 !!
The most effective method I have every used by far revolves (nice pun) around a vortex design, where the water is sent spinning inside a tube so the bubble has to travel hundreds of times around the tube before it would ever reach the outlet!

Thanks Foxfish.
Yes, reactor!
So, the CO2 inlet needs to be not to far down the tube for the bubble to be swept away and not too near the top so it doesn't pop straight to the surface?
If there is a pocket of CO2 at the top, does some of this get dissolved through the surface?

Cheers.

Yes C02 very often gets accumulated in the top & works against the incoming water, this is not ideal but pretty normal for most DIY reactors.
One of the problems with coloured PVC reactors is that you cant actually see what is happening inside or to what extent the (if any) build up of gas has developed into.
With a clear vessel not only can you tell when all the accumulated gas is used but you can also adjust the length of the co2 feed line up or down to get the best results.
You can buy Chinese made intank vortex reactors for £20 that work extremely well!

Hi,

My name is Michael and this is my first post here although I read this forum a lot so far. Great place to seek information an advice it is. You guys know a bit about aquatics ;).

I wanted to say that aqua medic tee connector is really great idea. Wondered only if I need any hose/tube clamp/clip on co2 end for safety reason or the tubing will stay on even I switch co2 at night? Clamps are kind of obvious thing for me on hose ends.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've found it works brilliantly with no clips of any kind. Have CO2 off at night also. Here's where this set up went from

8568833731_c8c0f3ccdf_b.jpg
17 May bookcase tank by mike@ukaps, on Flickr

And to - in matter of days

9071777908_6e3445e1e0_b.jpg
IMG_2404 by mike@ukaps, on Flickr

(Welcome to the forum - I knew nothing about planted tanks and this forum took me from an underwater submarine to half way competency!)

That is great result! :) I'll do clamps anyway. Just can't stand an idea of flood in my room but it's good to know it does well without them.

Do you have it on intake?

Mike

I tried this on my Fluval 406 filter. The fluval hoses were incredibly hard to get over the connectors on the T piece, very tight but still leaked, so unfortunately I had to take it off.
Instead, using the same idea, I put a ceramic diffuser immediately beneath the filter inlet.
This is working well. Downsides are that it has made the filter noisier (it was not silent to begin with), makes a squelching a sound with quite frequent "burps", and there are micro bubbles in the water. I wonder if this is due to relatively poor flow in the Fluval? I do have floss in there so will take that out and see if it helps.
But it has given me the best CO2 dissolution and distribution I have had, although still not perfect. Tank is 350l. Do other people struggle with CO2 in larger tanks (it seems a lot of the planted tanks are smaller than this, but I know others mange much bigger tanks)?

Little update. I've done it and works really well. I get burb now and then but that's fine as long as there is no mist in my tank. One more benefit - no more soaking any diffusers or atomizers in bleach over night. Thank you mikeappleby for an idea.

Hi there. Initially I installed tee connector on intake near the filter and everything was fine till I decided to move it up near intake pipe. Now until co2 is off flow is ok as but when co2 is on I notice drop in flow. FYI I moved tee connector next to aquarium intake pipe due to the fact that when I it was right before filter intake water used to get into co2 tubing and even through up aqua double check valve.

Where have you guys installed tee connector? Near intake pipe or just before filter intake? Have you encountered such a problems on both occasions as I did?

Mike

All solved. The same time I moved tee connector I switched from sponge as an intake pipe guard to nylon stocking. That caused too much sucking pressure at intake cuts, two neon tetra got stuck at it :-/ Now less two fish but happy with system again :)

Back