• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is there an optimum lights on period for CRS Shrimp ?

I bought something from Hobbyshrimp and they sent a brochure for the oxydator.

Alistair also said there has been a lot of chat about them on the shrimp facebook page he is on. Appears a lot of them use them.
I might put one in the low tech too, the thought of no more wires/plugs/ use of electricity and no bloody pump humming away is very attractive!
Will update on how well it works on my journal 'out of africana'

Yeah I would be interested in the oxygenator as I tripped over it last night.
I have no airline.
I have raised the filter outlet out of the water to make definitive water movement, but still feel it may need additional oxygen.
The shrimp seem more active after a filter and water change so wondering if more oxygen is needed. It's all in the mind probably.
R

Hi have no added oxygen in my main shrimp tank but the spraybar runs the length and turns over the surface water at quite a rate.

Ok have added to the shopping list some Benibachi BeeMax despite not seeing any reviews on the web. Hoping that the size of my tank and the daily usage will mean that I don't run out of this stuff too quickly.
R

It'll last an age. You'll know what is what when you open the pack and have a smell.
Sweet but earthy goodness.

It'll last an age. You'll know what is what when you open the pack and have a smell.
Sweet but earthy goodness.

Will look forward to the delivery, and see what the impact of this is. Very interested.

Lindy - Surely if there is lots of motion and turnover then there is lots of oxygen going into the water column. Do CRS prefer high oxygenated water.
After 1.5 days of lights on for a longer period I can see more bubbles from the plants. Which is in turn creating a bit more scum on the water surface. Will monitor it.
R

Crs do better in well oxygenated water.

Surely if there is lots of motion and turnover then there is lots of oxygen going into the water column
That was kind of my point, if you disturb/turn over the surface enough you don't need an air pump.

I know all tanks are different, but for me I've found best results for breeding and shrimplet survival rates come from the tanks that have plenty of surface agitation. Most of my tanks have a twice oversized sponge filter as well as a good airstone. But when you think that most shrimps natural habitat are shallow mountain streams, makes sense that they have a high O2 demand.

This is also what I aim for, the 200l shrimp tank has a 2000EF from APS with a spray bar along most of the back (seen the Benibachi factory, Japan on youtube? ) and two large-size double sponges run by the quite beefy Tetratec 400. Sounds like it should be too much but I don't think so. I suppose I do have alot of media in the external which slows it down.

Back