• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

recognize these mosses or ferns?

P1000656_zpsd4037f26.jpg
P1000655_zps628ecdd0.jpg
P1000652_zpsccd6349d.jpg
P1000651_zpse703cef7.jpg
P1000650_zps09f80a3f.jpg
Any one here able to recognize and maybe even name these mosses or ferns? They grow here in south China (Shenzhen) where I took those pictures a few weeks age.

1 - Fissidens sp.
2 - can't tell.
3 - Adiantum sp
4 - can't tell.
5 - Polypodiaceae sp.
Mick.:)

Hi all,
1 - Fissidens sp. 2 - can't tell. 3 - Adiantum sp 4 - can't tell. 5 - Polypodiaceae sp.
I'd agree with those, the second one looks to be a "Leafy liverwort", like the Plagiochila sp. (below/to right).
Plagiochila_aspleniodes0.jpg

I think the pale grey green "plant" in 4. is a lichen, and %. I think the fern in 5. may be a Pteris sp. like P. vittata. There are plenty of other options, (a Blechnum sp. would be one), but you would need a view of the under-side of a spore bearing frond.

The rock looks like "tufa" in the Adiantum photo, which would make Pteris more likely.

cheers Darrel

Yours is Maidenhair Fern, Adiantum , Alastair - with the notched leaf edges. Photo 3 looks like smooth-edged leaves, or very finely serrated.

Hi all,
It is definitely an Adiantum sp. (Maiden-hair Fern), rather than an Asplenium, if you turn the frond over the spore bearing indusia will be along the leaf edge.
tom%5CAdiantum-pedatum-sori.jpg

In Asplenium spp. the rod shaped indusia are in parallel rows either side of the mid-rib.

I think I've got a tentative ID for the fern as well, a "Rock Fern" Diplazium donianum, again a view of the "leaf" underside would help.

cheers Darrel

Back