• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Question about a plant

tennis4you

I have a plant but I am not sure what it is called though. It is shorter and the leaves are a dark red, the leaves are maybe 2" x 2". It has one leave per plant that shoots to the top of the tank. The guy at the store told me that when it reaches the top of the tank to cut that leaf off and then another leaf will shoot up to the top. Hopefully that description will tip you off on what it is.

Assuming someone knows what that bad boy is... Where do I trim it? Do I really just cut off the step that made it to the top?

Thanks!!!

That sounds like a nyphea to me, a water lily. You have 2 choices, leave the ariel growth and allow them to form "pads" or cut the leaf of at the rhizome.

Is there a recommended procedure for the plant? Like what is better for the plant? And where is the rhizome? The base?

cut just below the substrate. It wont hurt the plant at all. The rhizome is the crown where all the stems come from.

Most plants are not affected by pruning so dont worry about that. This particular plant can be pulled out totally and a couple of weeks later you will be surprised to see a new plant emerging from the left over roots. lol!!! Can be quite annoying if you dont want it in your scape, as I know to good effect.

AC

SuperColey1 said:
cut just below the substrate. It wont hurt the plant at all. The rhizome is the crown where all the stems come from.

Most plants are not affected by pruning so dont worry about that. This particular plant can be pulled out totally and a couple of weeks later you will be surprised to see a new plant emerging from the left over roots. lol!!! Can be quite annoying if you dont want it in your scape, as I know to good effect.

AC

lol, thanks... Good thing I want it in the scape. I like the color change, I have a lot of green. :)

Back