• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

45cm Layout, First Aquascape in China-- (also pics of fish market!)

Steven Chong

你好! (Ni Hao! Hello!)
Hi guys-- friends of old and aquarium enthusiasts I've yet to meet. My name is Steven Chong, and I'd like to share with you all my newest layout I've been working on since I got to China in September.

First, I'll say that the fish market here in Guangzhou is incredible-- Hua Diwan Bird / Fish / Plant market. I thought the Hong Kong market was crazy when I visited there last year, but the GZ market is almost as big-- it's incredible. Well, actually, if you're looking for rare species and quality products, HK is probably better, but the prices here are unreal. And did I mention the market is gigantic?

cbyh.jpg

jr8v.jpg

zbe2.jpg

^aquarium plants anyone?

vhpk.jpg

5abq.jpg

4saz.jpg

It just keeps going and going-- there must be a square kilometer of almost nothing but aquarium stores and stands. Salt water fish, corals, plants, rays, flowerhorns, arowanas, and tons and tons of goldfish and koi-- doesn't end! Of course, I'm sure many of the practices here would shock many western fish keepers-- I'll never see the sense in displaying a full-sized Koi in a bag waiting for someone to buy it, but there you go... I guess all I can say is that the Chinese invented the whole fishkeeping hobby, and I'm not about to tell them how to do it...

But all of you came into this thread to see an aquarium journal, so here it is.

It's a pretty modest set up, just a 45cm desk tank. However, I am just shocked at the prices of fairly high quality products!

1npd.jpg

^Frame-less Glass Aquarium, 130 kuai ($16 USD)

4t7a.jpg

^Collection of rocks I've only ever seen sold before in China/HK-- 60 kuai ($10 USD)
I also got myself a REALLY nice set of Seiryu stones (I'm talking primo stuff-- way better than anything I've seen sold in Japan or the US; if you want nice Seiryu, you got to go to the source and not let it pass through ADA's hands), and I paid 40 kuai (7 dollars) for the whole set. Maybe show you guys photos of those stones later.

nx7q.jpg

I stocked the tank with plants for a dry set up about 2.5 weeks-- I'm actually not actually sure if it was all that worth it. My crypts and starogyne definitely took well to their spots, and put in good roots during that time (I got ZERO melting on filling the tank), but my HC didn't really attach itself (so I had to replant a lot of it), and I'm guessing the Singapore moss really doesn't have rhyzoids because it almost didn't attach at all. My mini pelia DID though, and that was a big save.

I think I spent around 150 rmb on all my plants for this set up (~$20). A 3"x3" square of HC costs 10RMB, or $1.50 USD.

BTW that LED light for 45cm tank-- 170 RMB (~$22)

88mw.jpg

I think I spent 300 RMB for the whole CO2 system ($45), and 150 RMB ($20) on the canister filter. The glass pipes were $1 each.

3kq2.jpg

And here she is, 2.5 weeks after the tank was filled. :)

1nt4.jpg

Plants
-Hemianthus Callitrichoides
-Mini Pellia
-Starogyne repens
-Starogyne sp. Bihir (love this plant so much-- and so cheap here)
-Crypt Sp.
-Rotala sp. (probably "Vietnam")
-Pomatageton gayi (This plant is so great-- really needs more love in more layouts)

I also have been using this weird foreground plant. It looks a lot like Hemianthus micranthemoides, but it is absolutely a creeper-- it actually digs downwards. It grows faster than my HC, and while it had almost perfectly spherical leaves at first, now they're becoming sharper. I can take some pictures, but if someone could give me a scientific name it would be great; a friend in Hawaii told me it's "the newest thing in foreground plants" but didn't give me a name.

Fauna:
-15 Ember tetras
-2 Otocinclus
-7 Corydorus pigmeas
-20+ Red Cherry Shrimp

The fish are doing fantastic by the way. For all the horrendous handling things you see at the fish mart, the fish get to your house super healthy-- that's for sure. Sometimes the condition in and around the store look terrible, but the fish inside the tanks are healthier than I ever see in the US. It's very strange.

Specs:
Since all the equipment is from a bunch of Chinese makers, I'm not sure how useful it would be to talk about... The tank is 45 x 30 x 30. I'm using aquasoil, pressurized CO2, an LED light, and a canister filter. So far, the tank looks fantastic. I'm getting some algae, but its pretty minor. Water is CLEAR. Doing water changes 2-3 times a week though. I am also dosing ADA Step 2, and man-- I felt that stuff was EXPENSIVE (150 RMB). It really screws with your head when a bottle of Step 2 costs as much as an attractive LED Light stand, and more than a nice frameless aquarium!

Not to mention that bottle of Step 2 costs as much as my new VIV scissors:

ljxg.jpg

lol

Isn't it amazing how cheap things are when you don't have to pay international freight or for a brand name?

Have you got any more pictures of the plants at the market? I'd be very interested in seeing stuff in detail. Cheryl asked me to put together an article for TAG about Japanese stores when I was living there. I bet she'd love it if you would write one about Chinese stores/markets.

You've always had an eye for stone Steve, and this tank is no exception. I love it! I'm with you on the P. gayi too. It's a great plant but is so "old school" that it's passé and is hardly ever seen anymore. That's a sad thing, because it's amazing for small tanks.

First Phil... Now Steve is back!

Great to see you mate. :)

I can only see the first two pics. Not sure if it's just my phone though...

Anyway, thanks for sharing. I often think about how the relative high cost of aquascaping in the UK restricts us when compared with the Far East.

Cheers
George

Great tank Steve. I could spend a weekend in that fish market and at those prices wouldn't feel the wrath of the other half when I got home!

stunning layout looks great and those prices are almost unimaginable I would spend a fortune thinking I might use that and use that in future lol, seems you have been here before so welcome back and nice to see your scape and pics of that market, something a little different and great to see

Thanks dean

Glad you guys enjoy the pictures!

@Phil-- Good to see you! I don't have a lot more pictures unfortunately; I try not to take the photos too candidly since many stores/shops refuse photos. I don't have my DSLR out there blazing in other words-- got to be sneaky with my iphone you see. Honestly, the selection of plants here is not that great relatively speaking. You'll find more in Japan, you'll DEFINITELY find more in HK. What's amazing that was does exist here is so cheap-- I mean, a pot of Starogyne Bihir is as cheap as that same square of HC. Dow Noi and some species of Eriocaulons are also incredibly cheap and easy to come by. They have a lot of moss species here; but not really well organized, so you have to know what you're looking for-- and then, nothing like HK's league. So the "Cheap basic" -> "Somewhat rare" category is extremely well developed. However, when it comes to real collector's plants, I doubt you'll find it here. The selection of buce's or rarer stem plants is almost non-existent.

However-- to me, that makes it a perfect location for aquascaping; honestly, I don't need (and never felt I needed) "collectors plants", and have always thought the best layouts are done with staples. You can get those staples here at awesome prices, so I think it's a great place. Also, if I just had my multi-entry visa (get it on the 30th) I could go to HK which is just a hop skip and a jump away-- and there, you can find literally anything you could imagine (for still pretty damn cheap-- not China cheap, but cheap).

@George-- Thanks George. :D can you check again on your home computer? If you still can't see let me know. All the photos are on imageshack, but what do you guys usually use to upload pics to the forums these days?

Also guys, here's a short Youtube clip, cheers!

I agree. I prefer staples to the rare or ultra-new species for 'scaping with. The other stuff is only good for reputation or for a club's HAP.

Hey guys, just set up the 40cm that until now had been sitting outside on my washing machine (DSU).

Quick pic from my phone:

UvXfOzl.jpg

More later when I find time to look through the photos I took with my camera of the set up (easy set up though)

Hi Steven, your posts are real eye openers, not to mention your beautiful 'scape! Thanks so much for posting.
I am not having any problems with the pictures, except for jealousy when I look at the ones of your beautiful tank!
All the best from Bill. :D

Hey guys!

Thanks for the feedback. I too can't believe things when I see the prices here... flips my mind. I will be getting my visa soon, so hopefully I'll get another chance to parooze HK's even more insane market again. All you folks from the UK should visit Hong Kong some day-- it's a place with great history with your country, and really insane aquarium stuff. lol

Hope George is able to see my pics too, as I really look forward to comments from an old friend. :)

Did manage to get some more pics from the market here, so will share them later!

As for now, here are some pics from the 40 cm set up:

wG62t7z.jpg

Sitting on my washing machine outside for 3 weeks, waiting for its chance...

JPedSxV.jpg

My trusty spray bottle, and the wrap removed for the last time!

i9DQimr.jpg

Tank's looking nice in its final resting spot in my sitting area. I love a hanging light as much as the next bloak, but I just can't justify setting one up in my rented apartment on this little aquariums.

04B4RLs.jpg

Finally got the tank filled and the equipment set up! Overall, 24 watt Florescent light system, small canister filter, CO2 canister and regulator, lily pipes and miscellaneous equipment, spent 900 RMB, or about $150 USD.

Had an episode with the Regulator not screwed on the canister tight enough, but things went smoothly over all. I couldn't believe the clarity of the water with the Aqua Soil knock-off made here in Guang Zhou. Hopefully it doesn't do anything weird to the water, but only time will tell!

No floaters really, but I actually had to do a bunch of trimming, which made some clean up-- really messed up the sand to trim and cut off stems with over 1 cm long roots in the white areas!

UPIVPVG.jpg

A close up of that mountain face... as I mentioned, I have never seen Seiryu as nice in person until I came to the source-- here in China. Just absolutely beautiful rocks in the market; nothing like this anywhere in Japan. Maybe we westerners should also call them Shenlong rocks instead! (Chinese pronunciation of the Japnanese word "Seiryu")

There are 17 rocks in total, many smaler ones used to make the impression of bigger ones, or just to support the slope. I have about 5 more rocks in this collection that weren't used, and plan on increasing the Seiryu collection before leaving GZ. As mentioned, all these rocks cost me 40 RMB, or about $7 USD (what's that, like 4 pounds?).

And finally, that all-so-important candid front shot:

XjAW7It.jpg

Next time, I'll post some of the more mature shots of the 45, and add some more photos from the market.

Cheers guys!

Back