• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

TMC Grobeams - where to start?

Conger

Hi

I've finally taken the plunge and got 4x TMC grobeam strips for my incoming 4'x2', with controller. Can someone suggest a good starting programme/intensity in a tank that will start heavily planted?

Thanks!

Hi Conger,

What model are they? 600?

How high is the tank? 2 foot?

How high above the water will the lamps be? Inside a hood near the water?

Will you be injecting CO2? Yes?

This is my advice based on my assumptions to my questions.

4 x 600 strips is approximately equivalent to 2 x 54w HO T5, so in a 4 x 2' is about right for most situations.

Personally I'd have them all on a 6hr photoperiod to start. Try 50% intensity for the first 2 weeks and gradually build if desired or required (plant species dependent also). Have all units ramp up/down at start/end of photoperiod for 10mins or so to prevent shocking the livestock.

Enjoy your new LEDs and setup! :)

Thanks both. George, yes 600s, and 2 ft deep, and co2. And yes, inside a hood. So I'll use your suggestion as a starting point and see how it goes! Thanks

Hi Conger

Assuming they are a inch or two above the water line, I'd be very cautious if I were you. I use them too, have them 1 inch above the water. In my experience they are very powerful, I find 20% max output to be a good starting point. I know this seems overly cautious to some, but that is my experience of using them. As far as I know no one has done any PAR readings on them?

Best of luck!

Hi Conger

Assuming they are a inch or two above the water line, I'd be very cautious if I were you. I use them too, have them 1 inch above the water. In my experience they are very powerful, I find 20% max output to be a good starting point. I know this seems overly cautious to some, but that is my experience of using them. As far as I know no one has done any PAR readings on them?

Best of luck!

Well I was going to say go 25% and increase 5% weekly. But hey ho...

Don't forget the joys of being able to programme your set up . . . I had a lot of trouble with intensity when I got my 400 Mini tile for my nano, so I put in a 100 minute ramp time, so that I could have slightly more intense lighting at the time when I view the tank most often. It still doesn't get up over 20%, as I am low tech, so maybe it was a bit of overkill on my part, but like I said, the flexibility, low running costs(and indeed the quality of light), make it worth while.
Just something to consider.
All the best from Bill. :D

Back