• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What's your favoured substrate ? And why !

That's a remarkable anthropological story. So to sum up...
...the second wave of migrants - came, saw, and conquered...and brought their pets.
...the human genome is amazingly diverse - I never knew that some humans shared mitochondrial DNA with Arvicola amphibious and friends:eek:
...Molesting small mammals is obviously a widespread genetically driven culturally significant phenomena...What's your PhD in again, Tom:shifty:
...Tales of the Riverbank will never be the same again:(
...and finally...for Celtic Fringe read Twilight Zoneo_O

Disclaimer: no furry little brown jobs were hurt during the writing of this message...

...Oh sorry Richard...I didn't mean to hijack your thread:oops:...Just to confirm soil is definitely my favourite substrate...did I already mention the link below?

My favorite is the stuff I can't afford.:)

Brilliant article well written . Enough science to satisfy the curious but at a nice level for the less scientific to still get an understanding of the subject .
I particularly like the concept of the carbon coming from the substrate as an option to injected CO2 . It's a similar concept to dosing marine tanks with tiny ( 1ml) doses of vodka .
Also found the guidance of 1 to 1.5w per gallon a very useful rule of thumb .

Many thanks for your guidance .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have two. First one is soil, second one is just anything inert with JBL mud balls pushed into it. I've had surprisingly great results using those.

Is that the 7+13 balls? If so I use them. They had been in our old tank 6 mths. I stripped the tank Down took them out dried them out them popped them back in the New Set up talk about value for money:)

Certainly think I'm going to go low-tech to start with some combo of John Innes plus inert topping . At the moment I'm reading up on all the separate elements which of course eventually make up the project . It's going to be in the New Year as I've got an impeding Hip replacement coming up .

Good luck with the hip, father Inlaw in his 60's Just had his done and he's like New again compared to his life before. He's pain free too:)

JBL mud balls sound like a good idea for starters , the dosing regimes in the forums sound at times a little over complicated . Where are they sourced - tried t'internet only got German mfr's site !

Thanks Kirk , I've worn mine out a bit early really . But you're right about the pain - 6 weeks ago I was on a golf holiday and now I'm struggling . Bloody annoying .

Back