• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A little inspiration.

Wow, that tank is breathtaking! Mick is the master of the reds! Amazing! Is that the same scape, that we saw in April?

That is breathtaking. Colour Contrasts are so vivid. Thanks for sharing.

Posted from the comfort of my iPhone...

Now let's be realistic here boysn'girls...........the composition of this tank is far from good!!!!!!!! No real perspective, just for a start...............
The purpose is to show our sales-persons how - primerely the newest- plants look. The species to be used are given, not chosen.
It's a "Show-tank" to display specific plants, and therefore strictly divided into separate areas, so that any species can easily be changed to whatever sales needs to be on display. With the "flat" look that enevitably creates.
That said; Kind words are ofcourse allways appreciated :p . Thanks to all.
Mick.

I pledge guilty as to plant health.............rest is due to Mark's photographic abilities !!!:)

Now let's be realistic here boysn'girls...........the composition of this tank is far from good!!!!!!!! No real perspective, just for a start...............
The purpose is to show our sales-persons how - primerely the newest- plants look. The species to be used are given, not chosen.
It's a "Show-tank" to display specific plants, and therefore strictly divided into separate areas, so that any species can easily be changed to whatever sales needs to be on display. With the "flat" look that enevitably creates.
That said; Kind words are ofcourse allways appreciated :p . Thanks to all.
Mick.

I think I see Rotala mexicana sp. 'Goias' which I've not seen on the order list from last week. And in the upper left, is that Limnophila or a Ludwigia inclinata variety?

Those colours are wonderful. I suppose that very good trimming is also responsible for that nice form and good health.
Not wanting to take the topic to commercial levels and supposing that you're using Tropica fertilisers, how many litters have the aquarium and how much do you fertilise? ... i never used your fertilisers but am now trying both for two weeks but overdosing a little.

... and thanks to Mark for sharing :clap:

Pedro.

First of all; thanks for appreciating :)

Yep........(again;)), correct trimmng at correct time is IMO the second most important thing in good plant health (first one is environment). I'm a gardener/nursery-man.......... So I trim a lot:p.
This tank is roughly 200 l. (very long, not very deep).​
Because of the very dense plant-mass and very high growth-rate (all conditions are "high end": lights, temp., etc.... and a lot of fast-growing stem-plants and carpeting-plants in there), this tank "eats" anything between 200 - 300 ml. fertiliser a week, mixing the two kinds according to current needs.
So I'm probaply overdosing a little too, to ensure enough of anything is available at any time.
- BUT........... there's really not a lot of fish, and about 1/4 of water is exchanged every week, to ensure things don't "pile up" in any way.

Mick.

What a beautiful tank. That's the look that I'm trying to create in my own tank but its a right mess right now. Any other specifications for this? Lighting and CO2?

Hi Flygja.
Thx for compliments......
The tank specifications are according to category "advanced" (red) in Tropica's 3 category system ( can be checked on homepage ).
- I will say, though, that an important thing is to choose the exact plants, that fulfill your purpose.
Take into consideration both your own skills, the facts of environment provided (what you call "tank specifics") and what the appearance of the plant is to be. I really see a lot of people trying to force a plant into some environment or appearance, that doesn't apply to the particular plant. Another choise of plant would have saved them money and trouble........and often given success instead of utter failure !!!
It's SO much easier to work WITH Mother Nature, than against her..............and the outcome is allways better :thumbup:
Mick.

Stunning tank Mick!

Is there a secret to success with Red Plants? You hear lots about Iron, Lighting etc. Can you advise?

Honestly (and I know others will have "secrets" to provide), I really believe it takes the same basic things to have success with red plants as with green ones : Ideal conditions !!! If you can grow perfect greens, you can usually grow perfect reds too !!!
First of all, realize that "red plants" aren't a homogenuous group. Different red plants have different needs and respond to different things. For some it's a matter of plenty light and ferts (iron and molybdaen are important, yes), for others you can "stress" them with starvation or too much light. For the Tigerlotus it's generally a question of genes, some "strains" of stemplants, just colour up better ( these are what I look for at Tropica ) also because of genes.........and the list goes on !!
- Sorry, I can't provide a "one-covers-all"-solution.
If I could, Tropica would be selling it by now ;)
Mick.

Back