• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

External heater question

DanMac

I am planning on buying a hydor external heater for my tank and i have noticed that in the description it says that it should be placed/hung in a vertical position.

My problem is that i drilled the holes fairy low on my cabinet and the hoses pass through and exit the cabinet near horizontal and then curve upwards on the outside, I would have to have the heater in a near horizontal position.

Would that be a problem or would the heater work fine?

The hole in my cabinet is level with the top of my filter so the shortest route would have been horizontal. I just used a longer bit of tube to loop down and then back up so that the heater is vertical next to the filter.

I know over many years of fishkeeping we can all give examples of heater failures. HoweverI had one these fail after 18 months.
Did a bit of research and came up with........
The reason to install these vertically isn't to achieve maximum flow it is to prevent the possibility of an air bubble forming in the heater which could cause the heating element to overheat and damage the heater.

Whilst mine was not completely Horizontal, it certainly was no were near vertical.

The replacemt was plumbed in nearly vertical, and seemed to be quieter in operation, not as rapid off/on.
And has proved very reliable.

What a great piece of kit these are, ours is working well and is 45 deg too. Shh don't tell hydor.:)

actually, ive just had a massive tidy in my cabinet, and mines now at 45 degrees. lol. My cabinets looking unreal too!

Please note I'm purchasing a tool rack today :lol:
u7y3a2ep.jpg

It doesnt matter though really. If your gonna have it horizontal, just wiggle it every so often to clear bubbles... not that I did :lol:

Cheers guys looks like im gonna buy one, do they make noticeable noise?

Cheers guys looks like im gonna buy one, do they make noticeable noise?

No noise at all other than a very light 'Click' when it starts heating and when it stops heating. I have one right next to my head in bed (Approx. 1' away), and it doesn't keep me up at night.

No noise at all other than a very light 'Click' when it starts heating and when it stops heating. I have one right next to my head in bed (Approx. 1' away), and it doesn't keep me up at night.

Good to hear mate, my tank is in my bedroom also so i like all equipment to be quiet

Back