• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter/flow arrangement in a 120cm 240L

Looking for advice on the best filter setup for a 121x40x50cm 240L tank in terms of flow.

Going to rescape this tank over Christmas and remove the ugly internal which leaves me lacking on flow a bit.

I've got an eheim 350 already running on it with a spray bar, so can reuse that and a power head if I need it.

I've seen some lovely tanks on here some larger than mine with only one Lilly pipe on the side for flow, I don't see how they manage to not get dead spots. I plan to grow a carpet in here too so need some good flow low down.

Willing to buy new gear or change from spray bars to Lilly pipes so please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thinking out loud here to see what you guys think but I have two possible ideas in my head.

Spray bar on one side of the tank, going across the top creating agitation, with a power head at the other end blowing it down across the bottom back to the inlet on the same side as the outlet?

Or 2 externals or one more powerful external with 2 spray bars along the back, which hits the front glass and along the bottom to the back?

The only way to find out really is trial and error in my experience . Everyone has different planting dimensions filters etc but I do recommen. Lilly's just don't drop one like I did yesterday. If you can get one that angles down more they help. I've just added a hydor 900 I purchased off a good member on here they make a good addition. You may need one - two.

Yeah I agree with trial an error took me ages to get it right on the current scape, but removing the internal is going to mess that up again.

My only worry with Lily pipes my tank isn't rimless, it's a Juwel rio 240 so has the big wood bits on top not sure the pipe will sit low enough.

I guess with a lily pipe the flow would be stronger than it is with a spray bar? Otherwise think I'll need a more powerful filter, my external is for 350L tanks but only moves about 4x the tank each hour.

I see I had a Rio 240 that I've just given away. Previous owner cut the rear plastic to get the pipes lower which worked. Flaps were slung along with lighting and two units sat ontop. I was using an internal to boost flow untill yesterday but it's now swapped for a hydor 900 and . Run a ehiem 2215 on a 80cmx40cmx40cm. I Down sized from 2 ft high cube as it was hard to maintain with a bad back at that height.

Either idea will work fine, I'd have thought. Just remember it's important to have a nice, circular flow.

Back