• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New to ukaps

aaronj

Seedling
Hi All

Newbie to the forum but got recommended by a friend said you peeps know a thing or two.

Im just about to start a new nano scape ill be buying the fluval spec 19l tank because the filter it has built in is pretty big for a little tank. I've already sorted out uprated clip on compact twin t5 lighting, ill be running a pressurised co2. Id like to keep just a few chilli rosbora's and a couple of cherry shrimp. The only plants i know i want to use are hc carpet some hair grass and some stem plants what ones i don't know yet. My problem is substrate i know its abit of a debate i was thinking about using the fluval shrimp statum but been told to leave active substrate alone any thoughts on that? The other root i was thinking is some aquatic soil capped with 3mm gravel? My question is what should i go for. Its doing my head in thinking about the best way to take. Many thanks.

Hi aaronj,

I have a Fluval Spec 19l set up as a low tech tank and have been using the Fluval Shrimp Statum as substrate. Now the tank is established it works well for me but when I first started out with it I did find it a pain. Due to it been so light nearly every time I trimmed the rooted plants or inserted root tabs it would lead to the plants uprooting, then there was the hassle of re-planting them which again was very difficult to get them to stay down due to the substrate been so light..
Now to plants are established with good root structure it is not so much of a problem although it does still happen every now and again.

If I was to set this tank up again I would NOT use this substrate, I found it to be more hassle than its worth.. But saying that I have no other experience with any other substrates to compare it with..

I hope that helps a little.

Thanks

Cheers people i think im gonna give the fluval substrate a miss. Been doing some more reading up think i might take the path of the florite sand. Either of you two used it?

Back